Problems installing Ubuntu on Beaglebone - Looking for a clue on what i've done wrong.

root@parallels-Parallels-Virtual-Platform:/home/parallels# dmidecode | grep -i product
  Product Name: Parallels Virtual Platform
  Product Name: Parallels Virtual Platform
root@parallels-Parallels-Virtual-Platform:/home/parallels#

The same command will tell you that that you are running on a VMWare box or Virtualbox as well.

Im now curious of course to figure out what is going on here thats different and/or broken.

:slight_smile:

Well, that's good news that it works now.

So, to help the next person, do you know if there is anything we can
use to detect this "parallal's" environment, so that the script can
print a warning or possibly just not run...

Regards,

--
Robert Nelson
http://www.rcn-ee.com/

Sometimes the BIOS/CPU serial number will identify a virtualized environment, unless the hypervisor is passing the physical CPU/core directly from bare metal for performance reasons (VMware passes the CPU directly through with ESXi/ESX, but some hypervisors virtualize the CPU itself). Looking at the first few octets of the MAC address can help detect a virtualized environment, as typically it is the hypervisor that assigns the hardware MAC address to the VM instance. For example, VMware uses 00:05:69 / 00:0C:29 / 00:1C:14 / 00:50:56 for their assigned VM MAC addresses to differentiate VM traffic from the physical hardware host's layer-2 Ethernet traffic itself; I am sure other virtualization vendors have their own assigned vendor MAC addresses as well. A more esoteric approach is looking for timing inconsistencies and clock skew inside the VM, but that's probably beyond the scope of this. Most hypervisors do a pretty good job of preventing detection of the hypervisor if there are no userland processes running inside the VM that are communicating with the hypervisor (such as the VMware Tools collection), that's a feature not a bug.

Ok, just for through-ness, I have tried installing the images from a machine that is running ubuntu natively.. And i got the same problem. it hangs at the same point as before.

I also tried installed the debian system, and got a similar result

Begin: Loading essential drivers ... done.
Begin: Running /scripts/init-premount ... done.
Begin: Mounting root file system ... Begin: Running /scripts/local-top ... done.
Begin: Running /scripts/local-premount ... Scanning for Btrfs filesystems
done.
[ 4.333007] EXT4-fs (mmcblk0p2): mounted filesystem with ordered data mode. Opts: (null)
Begin: Running /scripts/local-bottom ... done.
done.
Begin: Running /scripts/init-bottom ... done.
INIT: version 2.88 booting
[info] Using makefile-style concurrent boot in runlevel S.

[long pause]

[ 240.631439] INFO: task startpar:157 blocked for more than 120 seconds.
[ 240.638275] "echo 0 > /proc/sys/kernel/hung_task_timeout_secs" disables this message.
[ 240.646484] startpar D c04f14d8 0 157 148 0x00000000
[ 240.653137] Backtrace:
[ 240.655731] [<c04f10ec>] (__schedule+0x0/0x43c) from [<c04f1644>] (schedule+0

I was able to install the angstrom image ok onto these cards.

Im going to go and get another card-writer, although that seems unlikely..

Any chance can you test my netinstall script:

https://github.com/RobertCNelson/netinstall

I just verified it for another customer this morning with my BeagleBone A5..

with this:
sudo ./mk_mmc.sh --mmc /dev/sde --uboot bone --distro wheezy-armhf

and my BeagleBone works just fine..

It's the same exact kernel uses in my demo images, but i did bump
u-boot from v2012.10 -> v2013.01-rc2 this afternoon too..

Regards,

Just doing now.

Ok, gets as far as this;

3.407470] mmc0: new high speed SDHC card at address 1234
[ 3.425018] mmcblk0: mmc0:1234 SA04G 3.63 GiB
[ 3.442169] mmcblk0: p1
[ 3.973266] gadget: high-speed config #1: CDC Ethernet (ECM)
Starting system log daemon: syslogd, klogd.

Then sits and does nothing..

I sniffed the ethernet port its attached to and i don't' see any activity. Is it expecting to use the usb-gadget?

At that point, the "debian-installer" should take over the serial port
and show an emulated serial console installer over the serial port..

i only ever use gtkterm, but putty/screen/minicom should work too..

It'll look like this:
http://people.skolelinux.org/pere/blog/images/2012-01-26-skolelinux-sme/02-sme-lang.png
(borrowed from google image search) but over serial, so no colors..

Regards,

ahh, ok.. i just had screen attached to the console.. Will give this a whirl in a moment.

Hi, i sniff a solution, but i'm not quite there yet.

I get the first screen of the installer up over the serial port ( Select Language ) if i use Minicom, however no keyboard inputs are accepted.. So i can't get it to install.. If i use screen to connect, i just get a blank screen, as before..

Anybody got a suggestion.

Its stuck at this point.

Screen Shot 2012-12-19 at 9.40.58 PM.png

Ah… Just hit enter on the keyboard connected to your system running gtkterm… That’s all i’ve ever done…

Regards,

No amount of enter pushing helps. :frowning: I feel like i’m rapidly wining the award for “user who simply can’t get it going because he’s doing things wrong”

Shut down, made a coffee and came back… I ditched using gkterm and went back to screen, and it works for me… Something most odd going on… Its currently downloading all the bits…

We might get onto my real problem later on today!

Well, this was encouraging…

Debian GNU/Linux wheezy/sid debian ttyO0

debian login: root
Password:
Last login: Fri Dec 31 13:00:33 SST 1999 on ttyO0
Linux debian 3.2.33-psp26 #1 Thu Nov 1 18:50:13 UTC 2012 armv7l

This was built using the net installer… Its surived a reboot and a power down / up…

I’m not sure why we couldn’t get any joy out of the image installation… However this is a very good start.

I was wondering if there is a ‘stress’ test for the beagle that i can run to see that my system is 100% happy… Given all the trouble i’ve had, i’m just questioning it!

The ubuntu images didn’t work on my OpenSUSE 12.2 box either. Going to try the net install of Debian. Is there a Ubuntu net install? Also, Robert, do your stable-kernel build scripts work w/ debian?

The ubuntu images didn't work on my OpenSUSE 12.2 box either.

Back a few years ago, another user did the opensuse patches, it's
probably regressed...

Going to try
the net install of Debian. Is there a Ubuntu net install?

Due to the nature of the debian-installer in Debian/Ubuntu, the same
netinstall supports pretty much all of them.. Just select which one
with "--distro <name>"

Debian:
squeeze
wheezy-armel
wheezy-armhf

Ubuntu:
oneiric
precise-armhf
quantal-armhf

Also, Robert, do
your stable-kernel build scripts work w/ debian?

It works fine with Debian Wheezy, as that's what I run on all my
development machines... It'll automatically pull down a linaro cross
compiler..

Regards,

I had this same problem. To resolve, I needed to tell minicom to ignore the RS232 control lines, In minicom do Ctrl-A Z, select O (cOnfigure Minicom), choose Serial port setup from the menu, set Hardware Flow Control to No and set Software Flow Control to No. Doing this enabled my minicom to transmit data when I pressed keys!

Regards Tony

I recently installed Ubuntu 12.10 on my BeagleBone. I could not use SSH to log in, so I had to use Minicom. When I run “/etc/init.d/ssh start” I get the following:

Could not load host key: /etc/ssh/ssh_host_rsa_key
Could not load host key: /etc/ssh/ssh_host_dsa_key
Could not load host key: /etc/ssh/ssh_host_ecdsa_key

I even changed the network adapter setting from “NAT” to “Bridged” but still no luck. What am I missing?

So with the image i uploaded on friday:
http://elinux.org/BeagleBoardUbuntu#Quantal_12.10_armhf

What happens when you use the "--uboot bone_dtb" option?

PS, When your using a real 5volt DC power supply...

Regards,

Hi robert,

the problem only occurs if the Ethernet Gadget isn't connected to something, on the first boot after writing to the Card. Once the net install is finished, everything ok.
This one got me stuck for quite some time. Being attached to the 5V or USB makes no difference either.

I only picked up on it, when i moved from booting the device up with it connected to my macbook ( no widget ) to a debian workstation ( which was connecting the ethernet widget ), and then working through what the differences where.