Processor getting very hot

With a Noise figure of 23dBA, that is a really noise fan. I would recommend a CPU fan with a noise figure of 16dBA or lower which is more than 8 times quieter than the one you recommended. Remember, most of these boards are on the desk next to developers and a noisy CPU fan is just horrible. Remember the complaints about the bright LED’s on the original BBB?

Regards,
John

But, we are not shipping the board with a fan. It is not needed.

Gerald

I agree. I’m referring to the choice of fan that are needed if an app requires high levels of CPU load over extended period of time. Remember, this processor is a beast and we can run both A15s, both DSPs, both M4’s and four PRU’s, all at the same time, and we will find a way to do that :wink: Imagine what can be done with this board. Horsepower!!

Now we need a fan.

Regards,
John

Don't forget to keep IVA-HD and the two SGX cores busy too.

Something involving playing back multiple H.264 video streams onto 3d
surfaces whose shape is determined by the high-speed ADC data captured by
PRU and processed by the DSPs?

For the record, 64 deg C is warmish, but not spec breaking. I would prefer it to be a bit cooler. AMD normally specs their silicon to a 70C case temperature. Intel allows up to 68C or so, it is rather hidden in the modern self adjusting CPUs. In both cases, a CPU may last a decade under such temperatures.

NVidia specs a 105C max temperature, but nVidia parts tend to have shorter lifespans. There's the key. There is a wide temperature range where the chip will run, but you shorten the lifespan due to electromigration.

A question regarding the temperature as well - I have an A2 board, and I’m just catting out thermal/thermal_zone*/temp. Zones 0,1,2 look wayyy hotter than what I would expect, with zone 3 being more like it:

Every 2.0s: cat thermal/thermal_zone0/temp thermal/… Wed Nov 25 22:17:20 2015

What’s the canonical way folks are getting the temperature on the X15?

Joe