Project Bootstrap Help

Good Morning All,

I’m very new to anything embedded, but have decades of programming and sysadmin experience. I’m hoping to get some pointers on a new project, which is also my first foray into embedded systems and IoT.

The project is to create a device that monitors the systems in my RV, posts them to an MQTT service, serves as an automation platform I can build on to control the RV systems automatically or remotely.

I have a BB Green Wireless as a starting point.

Key questions:

1. I would prefer to do all my prototyping in Python, eventually optimising with Python-Boost, but not prematurely. Which wrappers/libraries are the best starting point in terms of GPIO/I2C/ADC programming in Python? Can I use CircuitPython, supported by Blinka, or will this turn into a PITA?
  2. I will develop using the stock Debian distribution, but intend to move the project to either BalenaOS or MuntsOS for ongoing deployment. Anything that I’m missing that area?
  3. What is the wise man’s LTE-M solution for a BBGW, right now?
    Thanks for any and all input and comments!

A.

Good evenening!

RV = recreational vehicle or research vessel?

@1: For ADC and GPIO (and PWM, CAP, QEP) check out libpruio and its Phyton wrapper/examples/source code.

Regards

RV = recreational vehicle or research vessel?

It’s actually an off-road travel trailer I tow behind my Land Cruiser. :slight_smile:

@1: For ADC and GPIO (and PWM, CAP, QEP) check out libpruio and its Phyton wrapper/examples/source code.

That’s a really interesting project!

Thanks for the reply,

A.