Question regarding UART

I have a few questions regarding the UARTs on the Beaglebone Black & Green.

What is a good resource for writing programs for the uarts? Which programming language would be the best to write uart applications in C++, Python, or Java?

Is it possible to send data between the uarts without them being physically connected?

Thank you in advance for your help.

Mike

What is a good resource for writing programs for the uarts? Which programming language would be the best to write uart applications in C++, Python, or Java?

Google. Seriously.

Is it possible to send data between the uarts without them being physically connected?

No . . . and yes. No, they must be connected in order to communicate with one another. Yes, in that there is wireless UART through bluetooth. I do not know much about though other than it exists, but you can find serial to bluetooth adapters on ebay all day long for ~$3 USD each.

BY the way, “which language?” is subjective, and something you need to answer for yourself. Me ? I prefer C, but I always prefer C.

Which programming language would be the best to write uart applications in C++, Python, or Java?

This question doesn’t make any sense. There is not a better programming language than another.Not absolutely. From your question I can understand that you are pretty new in the world of programming. Specially for embedded devices. Maybe you want to use the BBB and not be one day an expert in informatics. In this case you can start which any language you want, but most probably you’ll find confortable with Python.

In this case you have tons of tutorial about using USART. But…if you don’t have any experience in programming language it will be very hard for you to adapt tutorials to your needs.

Do you mean through a wireless connections? Of course…take a look at Xbee Module or eNIC Nitro. The latter is a modified version of an Arduino. Both are really easy to configure and to use.

This question doesn’t make any sense. There is not a better programming language than another.Not absolutely. From your question I can understand that you are pretty new in the world of programming. Specially for embedded devices. Maybe you want to use the BBB and not be one day an expert in informatics. In this case you can start which any language you want, but most probably you’ll find confortable with Python.
In this case you have tons of tutorial about using USART. But…if you don’t have any experience in programming language it will be very hard for you to adapt tutorials to your needs.

The question is valid, and makes perfect sense. However the answer is largely subject to opinion.

So, in Linux, a serial device generally presents it’s self as a file object. Like so many other devices in Linux. What this means is that any language that has libraries, or APIs for handling files can be used to communicate over serial. Also, since maximum theoretical communication speed for UART is around 3Mbit / s(reliable ), having the fastest language such as C, or C++ in play does not matter so much. For this one small aspect, at any rate. However, if the application does much more than just some form of serial communication + storing data. C / C++ might be a good idea.

For communication over serial, and data visualization though, even Javascript can be used ( Nodejs ), and in fact it’s been proven time, and time again. That Nodejs is often more performant when compared to most scripting languages. But gain, I digress. Performance is very possibly a minor concern here . . .