Question(s) about POP

The pins on top of the omap3 for mounting a POP memory module. I know the pins exist on top and bottom of the package, but both pins always present at both locations or can the bottom pins be assigned to one task and top pins used for the POP package? I have a device that did not use the POP method for NAND and RAM. Is it possible to mount a POP package after the fact and reassign or ignore the bottom pins?

-Freeman

The pins on the top also appear on the bottom. They are permanently connected together in both locations and they cannot be reassigned.

Gerald

What are the chances that if I remove the current Intel Nand module that I can install POP and have it work? I know I would have to get the specs for the original module and see if there is any support components need for isolation and line control.

-Freeman

That is tough to do without heating up the processor as well which would cause it to move resulting in shorts. There are people with a lot of experience with POP that have done it, but even then sometimes it does not work for them. I don’t know what capability you would have to do this. Based on your question, I have to assume that this would be your first attempt.

Now, this memory also has the DDR in it. So bascially, you would be cutting the heart out of the processor and it would have no place to run code so in essence, the board could not be powered up and used for anything.

Gerald