RAM 1GB option

1GB ram would be awesome on the BBB.

So whats this “green initiative” ? Because an X15 with 4GB ram would be very welcome too . . . I mean if you’re paying ~$200 already, whats another 10-20 bux ?

Green is the Seed Studio $39 special.

It will cost more. If Jason approves the cost increase we can make it happen on a Rev D board.

X15 with 4GB would be nice. Try $40 more! I just want to see the 2G working first.

Gerald

Green is the Seed Studio $39 special.

It will cost more. If Jason approves the cost increase we can make it happen on a Rev D board.

X15 with 4GB would be nice. Try $40 more! I just want to see the 2G working first.

Jeeze, they must be using gold silicon :wink:

Ah beaglebone green. So yeah, leave those funky “plug and play” connectors off :wink: Whatever they’re called, and yeah, I don’t need to be reminded heh. Electronics for non electronics people . . .

So you mentioned hoping that the board isn’t just used as a compile system. But 4GB would definitely work great for that. I can also think of many other uses. Most of which could be considered elaborate, and possibly overboard. Running a swapdisk in memory ? hah ! Not really . . .

By the way Gerald, I’d love to benchmark that board against an core i3 . . . but I’d expect the X15 will stomp all over one . . .

It'd be great to get feedback from the people on the list if they'd
pay for the extra $$ for 1GB if the 512MB stopped being available
(ie., Rev D vs. BeagleBone Black Gig). Supposedly the Sancloud folks
were going to make a 1-Gbyte-RAM + 1-Gbit-Ethernet version per
http://beagleboard.org/Community/Forums?place=msg%2Fbeagleboard%2FRoVnCt6EFDk%2FrjBJZZfcR2kJ,
which was the only real reason we steered away from doing it
ourselves. They seem to have built some PCBs, but I feel it has been
quite a while in the waiting.

Anyway, always good to get community feedback on our direction.

t’d be great to get feedback from the people on the list if they’d
pay for the extra $$ for 1GB if the 512MB stopped being available
(ie., Rev D vs. BeagleBone Black Gig). Supposedly the Sancloud folks
were going to make a 1-Gbyte-RAM + 1-Gbit-Ethernet version per
http://beagleboard.org/Community/Forums?place=msg%2Fbeagleboard%2FRoVnCt6EFDk%2FrjBJZZfcR2kJ,
which was the only real reason we steered away from doing it
ourselves. They seem to have built some PCBs, but I feel it has been
quite a while in the waiting.

Anyway, always good to get community feedback on our direction.

You would have to give us a price first Jason.But also am confused as to why it would be difficult to manufacture both. Not like you would have to exactly “retool” . . .

just to compare: 512M chip is ~7usd, 1GB chips is ~22usd. Think of the extra value you get for the extra 512M

SO without the hdmi it sounds like price would be close to a wash.

I would like to see the price difference. It would be nice to have a cheaper board and perhaps a premium board for some things. The upgrade from 2GB to 4GB on the board doesn’t do anything for me since my OS is much larger than that, but yet only the more expensive 4GB boards are available. Would hate to see something similar happen with the RAM. The only reason the BB Green is at all attractive to me is not because it has the Grove connectors, but because it is cheap and I could use it for my hacking drones. For the times that I need more RAM the 1GB boards that are already available are nice.

I would like to see the price difference. It would be nice to have a cheaper board and perhaps a premium board for some things. The upgrade from 2GB to 4GB on the board doesn’t do anything for me since my OS is much larger than that, but yet only the more expensive 4GB boards are available. Would hate to see something similar happen with the RAM. The only reason the BB Green is at all attractive to me is not because it has the Grove connectors, but because it is cheap and I could use it for my hacking drones. For the times that I need more RAM the 1GB boards that are already available are nice.

I have seen a few people mention they’re looking forward to the green for the grove connectivity. So those people do exist. Not sure how many. Me . . . I think grove is pretty silly except for one thing. It is a marketing ploy, that will probably sell some amount of boards more . . .

I’m almost sure that 90% of users will be happy staying at 512M without paying extra 15 dollars for questionable advantage of 1GB. I even doubt the majority of hobbyists need 512M. If you don’t use Xorg then tons of console applications are happy with 256M of RAM

The Green is cheaper and it will be the main reason to sell them a lot. HDMI? Who needs it?

William,

That sounds like some fuzzy math to me. I don't think a BOM increase
of $15 is a wash with removing the HDMI---and I didn't think removing
the HDMI was even an option to consider for the BeagleBone Black
itself. I do, however, feel Maxim's numbers are for fairly low-volume
purchases and I'd hope we could do better than that.

Regards,
Jason

Jason,
I just list low-volume prices from Avnet, available without a project registration. Pretty sure you have a better deal with Micron :slight_smile:

Jason, funny, I though the BB Green had the hdmi framer removed ? Or am I thinking of another board ? Anyway, we’d have to have a price, and adding price on top of cost wont be helpful I can tell you that.

So again, whats the problem the problem with making both ? There is no retooling required . . .

I’m almost sure that 90% of users will be happy staying at 512M without paying extra 15 dollars for questionable advantage of 1GB. I even doubt the majority of hobbyists need 512M. If you don’t use Xorg then tons of console applications are happy with 256M of RAM

I think that honestly the only real use is for hobbyists, and the outside case where a company / firm needs that extra ram for compiling something. But recently a friend of mine asked me for some help with getting wireshark to compile on the board . . . setting up a USB hard drive with a swap file was not too difficult - But surely slower compared to RAM.

Aside from that, I can think of at least a few non questionable uses for it. Data logging - File in memory, would be one.

I would pay extra for 1GB if that's all I could get, but more than that I want more eMMC flash storage, which I would definitely pay for. While I'm dreaming, I also want to be able to use eMMC and a non-USB Wi-Fi module at the same time.

Rick,

Curious - What would you need a larger eMMC for ? I only ask because there are workarounds for extra storage - sdcard, external USB etc.

As for wifi, how would you propose to physically connect one ? SPI ? UART ? I2C ? Or maybe bit-bang custom software peripheral through the PRU’s ?

Rick,

Curious - What would you need a larger eMMC for ? I only ask because there are workarounds for extra storage - sdcard, external USB etc.

My device is essentially a music player, but the nature of it makes it difficult to give the user access to the SD card slot. More than that, SD cards are notorious for their lack of reliability compared to the on-board eMMC.

As for wifi, how would you propose to physically connect one ? SPI ? UART ? I2C ? Or maybe bit-bang custom software peripheral through the PRU's ?

SPI. I wanted to put a TI WiLink module on my cape, so I got the existing Wi-Fi cape and tried it out. But it conflicts with the eMMC, because the SPI pins brought out on the connectors are the same ones used by the eMMC (I think I have that right). The Bluetooth side of that module uses a UART.

What is wrong with SPI-0 on p9- 17,18,21,22 ?
— Graham