Re-flashing an Angstrom EMMC with Debian Latest from beagleboard, fail

Getting a “not enough memory on device (28)” message repeatedly at the end when it switches from cylon flashing to fast double flash. I was surveilling through the 3.3 FTDI cable, hopefully the observation was not the root of the problem. I will try one more time without the FTDI cable and see if it makes a difference, then I suppose I will try to re-download the flasher image and re-unpack it…

I would have included more of the output than this dim recollection, but Putty does not seem to support select and copy…

Any better suggestions?

I guess I can get the board working with an SD boot system rather than flashing the EMMC, but that doesn’t really get me where I want to and should be able to go,

Regards and thanks in advance,

Jack

copy / paste with putty is:

1. Select the text you wish to copy with the mouse.

2. left click the selection.

Be careful not to right click in the putty window when you have something in the clipboard, as this will put whatever is in the clipboard into the prompt, and putty will process return + newlines as if you pressed on the keyboard . . . depending on what you have in the clipboard this can be dangerous.

Which board do you have, and which image are you trying to flash ?

Never mind that question. You have either and A5A or an REVB based on the distro you mentioned “Angstrom”.

Make sure you’re not trying to use a REVC 4GB image. It should be marked on the ewiki page.

go to:

http://elinux.org/Beagleboard:BeagleBoneBlack_Debian#Debian_Releases

Scroll down to:

BBB (All Revs) eMMC Flashers

Then pick your poison. LXDE or console.

go to:

http://elinux.org/Beagleboard:BeagleBoneBlack_Debian#Debian_Releases

Scroll down to:

William,

I have two BBBs. The one I had the problem on (see attached log) may be a B, I can’t tell for sure from my personal knowledge base. The second is definitely a C. I am going to try to repeat the flash on the confirmed C with the Debian 2015.03.01 4GB Flasher.

Maybe it is buried in the log file what the hardware version is? It did not jump out at me.

I would like to get this working with LXDE.

Thanks for your replies.

Jack

putty1.log (27 KB)

go to:

Beagleboard:BeagleBoneBlack Debian - eLinux.org

Scroll down to:

William,

I have two BBBs. The one I had the problem on (see attached log) may be a B,
I can't tell for sure from my personal knowledge base. The second is
definitely a C. I am going to try to repeat the flash on the confirmed C
with the Debian 2015.03.01 4GB Flasher.

Maybe it is buried in the log file what the hardware version is? It did not
jump out at me.

I would like to get this working with LXDE.

Thanks for your replies.

mmcblk0 179:0 0 7.4G 0 disk

-mmcblk0p1 179:1 0 96M 0 part /boot/uboot

`-mmcblk0p2 179:2 0 3.5G 0 part /
mmcblk1 179:8 0 1.8G 0 disk

-mmcblk1p1 179:9 0 96M 0 part

`-mmcblk1p2 179:10 0 1.7G 0 part

Yeap, you tried "flashing" the 4GB image to the Rev B (with only 2GB eMMC)..

Regards,

Yeah,

Rpbert,

No guts, no glory. :slight_smile:

Seriously, the flash went fine on the C and now I am preparing to flash the B with the lighter weight 2GB Debian flasher. I did not remember buying them that far apart, but the memory goes second.

I can still put the full version on Debian on an SD and load from that right? I just don’t really want to have two different versions of doing things for two boards, but kind of too late for that. I recall reading that the default behavior at boot-up is now to boot off an SD if it is present, is that correct? Or is it configurable?

As I write this the B just took the 2GB package just fine. Next, to play around with the LCD7 module and get it working with one or the other.

Respectfully,

Jack

I can still put the full version on Debian on an SD and load from that right?

Yes. But you would use one of the standalone images, instead of a flasher image.

I just don’t really want to have two different versions of doing things for two boards, but kind of too late for that. I recall reading that the default behavior at boot-up is now to boot off an SD if it is present, is that correct? Or is it configurable?

The default behavior as I understand it is that the board will load the first, a stage bootloader ( MLO ) off of the eMMC. Unless you press the boot switch button, where then it would load the first stage bootloader from the sdcard.

In either above case, the board would then attempt to boot off the sdcard. Starting with u-boot, and finally booting Linux. This is why some have issues with trying to boot a newer image off of sdcard, when they’re using an older BBB. The first stage bootloader on the eMMC is too old.

Anyway, with all that said. Yes, you can configure this behavior somewhat through uEnv.txt. You’ll still load the first stage bootloader off the eMMC, but depending on how key variables are set in uEnv.txt, you can “automagically” load files. and / or linux images choosing your specific boot medium.

Now, we’re straying off onto a topic that is fairly large. A topic that I spent nearly 2 weeks reading about before I could even think of a question to ask. I would suggest if you need to know more that you search the web for anything / everything u-boot, MLO ( and perhaps even x-loader ) in regards to the beaglebone black.

You’ll still load the first stage bootloader off the eMMC . . .

That is, if it exists. If it does not find a first stage bootloader on the eMMC, it should also look for it on the sdcard.

Yeah,

Rpbert,

No guts, no glory. :slight_smile:

Seriously, the flash went fine on the C and now I am preparing to flash the
B with the lighter weight 2GB Debian flasher. I did not remember buying them
that far apart, but the memory goes second.

I can still put the full version on Debian on an SD and load from that
right? I just don't really want to have two different versions of doing
things for two boards, but kind of too late for that. I recall reading that
the default behavior at boot-up is now to boot off an SD if it is present,
is that correct? Or is it configurable?

As I write this the B just took the 2GB package just fine. Next, to play
around with the LCD7 module and get it working with one or the other.

Yeah, there's 2 "lxde" flasher images, one for the 4GB and the other
for the 2GB.

The 2GB just removes chromium (which is a large package) and a few
other things to keep it under 2GB..

Regards,

Thanks William,

You stopped I think at just the right time...even if you tried to go further my head would probably explode right now. I will take the long course as you suggest and build that knowledge up at the logical rate.
I will work on my BB-View issues now and count myself lucky so far.

Again, thanks for your timely and thorough help! You and Robert.

Regards,

Jack