RE: What Are Some "Okay" Ways to Test If Specific Pins on the P8 and P9 Headers are Still Working?

Hello,

The other day is when I did some incorrect measurements and almost burned down the “world.” Anyway, I need some support. What are some surefire ways I can test my GPIO pins in the Debian distro with our commands?

Seth

P.S. I do not want to test them via hardware. I thought there might be a way to test them with our BASH in Debian. If you know and are willing to share, I would like to have you on board on this specific task. Thank you again for the support.

Hello,

I am still looking around for test options for the Debian OS on our BBB. Do you know how to test the P9 and P8 headers on our boards with software?

Seth

I don’t know how to do a pure software solution.
If you want coverage of the BBB Hardware all the way to the pin, I would do a simple loop-back test, where the pins are connected in pairs, and you wiggle one pin as an output, and see if its paired pin can see it as an input.
Then reverse and wiggle the second pin, and see if the first sees it.
Very simple hardware. Just a bunch of pins shorted to each other.

— Graham

Hello Graham,

Seth here. Okay, I will just check to see if they are working. I thought the distro could detect our hardware and if it was in working order or not. I know of the i2cdetect command to see if the hardware is available but I thought there was a software to detect if the hardware still was working.

Seth

P.S. Thank you for your input. I will check out the looping function for output. I might just see if the multi-meter can read the respected volts from the pins “I ruined.” Thank you, again.

Seth:
I don’t think the software commands can see any closer to the pins than the I/O registers associated with the pins.
Physical or electrical damage to the pins, such as damaging the ESD diodes, or damaging an I/O transistor might not change the behavior at the I/O registers.
If you want to test or verify the pin hardware, I think some minimal external hardware needs to be involved.
— Graham