Received my 4GB eMMC BBB

I received my 4GB eMMC BBB from Adadruit today. It’s nice to have the extra eMMC and of course I still have the SD card for even more solid state storage.

If there was one more item I wish I had on the BBB, it would be 1GB of RAM.

1GB? Not on that design. 512MB is the maximum.

Gerald

1GB? Not on that design. 512MB is the maximum.

MT41K512M16TNA-125 ?

It is 1mm wider, but the pin layout looks the same.

Regards,
John

So, does it provide its own power?

Gerald

Also note that is twin die. It requires two CS lines. It also adds a second load to all the address lines and data lines. I would need to change the design to add the termination resistors. The power is still an issue as well.

Gerald

Also note that is twin die. It requires two CS lines. It also adds a second load to all the address lines and data lines. I would need to change the design to add the termination resistors. The power is still an issue as well.

Yep, I should have paid more attention.

I would actually like a design similar to this ( the beaglebone black ) with 2GB RAM.

But while I’m dreaming I think the ideal design, at least for one thing I have in mind would be 2 GbE ethernet ports, 2 GB RAM, and an SATA connection. For my own purposes this could be used as a multi purpose home network “appliance”, that of course would not require a lot of interaction with the outside world ( GPIO, I2C SPI, etc ).

Costs ? No idea, and in the long run my “dream” might not be worth it to pursue.

Well, uh. Hmmm. That is well beyond AM3358, But your dreams maybe close. Stay tuned.

Gerald

Well, uh. Hmmm. That is well beyond AM3358, But your dreams maybe close. Stay tuned.

AM5x?

The Quad A15 AM5K2Ex would be fun! :wink:

Regards,

Reply-To: <beagleboard@googlegroups.com>
Date: Wednesday, May 21, 2014 at 6:11 PM

To: "beagleboard@googlegroups.com" <beagleboard@googlegroups.com>
Subject: Re: [beagleboard] Received my 4GB eMMC BBB

Well, uh. Hmmm. That is well beyond AM3358, But your dreams maybe close.
Stay tuned.

AM5x?

Smoke coming out of Gerald's ears.

Well, uh. Hmmm. That is well beyond AM3358, But your dreams maybe close.
Stay tuned.

AM5x?

Smoke coming out of Gerald's ears.

he's probably thinking, these guys are never satisfied. :wink:

Regards,

I don’t have to think it! I know it. But, somebody has to look after you guys. Sort of like kids playing with matches.

One of you got close to it.

Gerald

Robert, just curious. What do you use for your native compile machine ? I was recently looking at the wanderboard, but did not see any mention of Debian on their wiki. But I also did not dig very deep.

Mostly I am looking for a reasonably priced SBC, that has a good amount of oomph. ARM type, one each.

My main builders are quad i.mx6's wandboards and sabrelite's, once you
have the 2.5 sata drives and power supplies, the wand's are just
cheap.

They should work in Debian Jessie now, otherwise my netinstall works with it:

https://github.com/RobertCNelson/netinstall

--dtb wandboard-quad

I've also been playing with a couple a15's, omap5 and jetson-tk1

Regards,

I don’t have to think it! I know it. But, somebody has to look after you guys. Sort of like kids playing with matches.

I was hoping Robert was close, but given the target market for Beagle, now I’m thinking AM4x. I guess AM5x is either not available or still too expensive?

So, AM4x uses 32 bit DDR3 and can support 1G RAM but only 25% performance improvement over AM335x.

AM5x adds PCIe (SATA?) and has > 5x performance over AM335x.

You know where everyone’s preference is going to be :wink:

Lame question here: I have the old Rev B with Debian on an 8Gig microSD and Angstrom that I never use installed in flash. I’ve had no problems installing whatever I need or running out of space because of the 8Gigs of storage. Is there any disadvantage to this other then maybe slower speed?

If BBxxx could get a hardware video coder/decoder, like RPi has, it would explode the world of embedded hobbyists! :slight_smile:

I have a Wandboard quad, but I'm doing builds on my CuBox i4-Pro, which
is pretty similar. I like the small(er) form factor of the CuBox a bit
better than the Wand, and I like that I can plug in a SATA cable and
keep the case on. :slight_smile: