recipe to get belkin g usb wireless working on ubuntu xM?

at the risk of sounding like i want someone to walk me through it,
it would be great if someone would just walk me through it. :slight_smile:
mostly because i have something i really, really want to get working
on my xM by the end of the day but i can't do it without getting it on
the net and wireless seems like the easiest way to go.

  i've reviewed the posts by tirokartchief and he(?) seems to suggest
that it shouldn't be hard. to start with, i've installed the prebuilt
image for 10.04.1 linked to from here:

  http://elinux.org/BeagleBoardUbuntu#Lucid_10.04.1

and that just booted, no problem:

rpjday@xm:~$ lsb_release -a
No LSB modules are available.
Distributor ID: Ubuntu
Description: Ubuntu 10.04.1 LTS
Release: 10.04
Codename: lucid
rpjday@xm:~$

  now, back to the posts to the list by tirokartchief (hereafter
referred to as "ti" for brevity). ti first suggests removing the
packages network-manager and network-manager-gnome, but neither of
those are on my system, anyway, so no issue there.

  ti lists his working adapter as a belkin wireless g, which would
appear to be *exactly* the same as the one i have (F5D7050), but when
i plug that into my xM, i get:

[65675.849700] phy2 -> rt2500usb_init_eeprom: Error - Invalid RT
chipset detected.
[65675.860015] phy2 -> rt2x00lib_probe_dev: Error - Failed to allocate
device.

so i'm going to guess there's little point continuing until i resolve
this issue (will shortly check log files, "lsmod", etc.).

  but, again, this is a case where it would be delightful if someone
would just supply the recipe so i can get this working cuz, without
networking, i'm pretty well hosed.

rday

p.s. i've checked ti's blog here:

http://tirokartblog.wordpress.com/

but it doesn't seem to address this issue.

Yes, I'm a "he" :-). Anyway, that's totally weird - looks like your
Belkin uses a different chip to mine. I posted my recipe on the other
thread just now (I think maybe there's a delay before it appears due
to moderation?) but it won't address this issue. This link has some
info http://ralink.rapla.net/. I does suggest that the Belkin is not
consistent unfortunately. You might have to try compiling and loading
the driver yourself - I am trying to do that for the rtl8192SU.

Richard.

at the risk of sounding like i want someone to walk me through it,
it would be great if someone would just walk me through it. :slight_smile:
mostly because i have something i really, really want to get working
on my xM by the end of the day but i can't do it without getting it on
the net and wireless seems like the easiest way to go.

i've reviewed the posts by tirokartchief and he(?) seems to suggest
that it shouldn't be hard. to start with, i've installed the prebuilt
image for 10.04.1 linked to from here:

http://elinux.org/BeagleBoardUbuntu#Lucid_10.04.1

and that just booted, no problem:

rpjday@xm:~$ lsb_release -a
No LSB modules are available.
Distributor ID: Ubuntu
Description: Ubuntu 10.04.1 LTS
Release: 10.04
Codename: lucid
rpjday@xm:~$

now, back to the posts to the list by tirokartchief (hereafter
referred to as "ti" for brevity). ti first suggests removing the
packages network-manager and network-manager-gnome, but neither of
those are on my system, anyway, so no issue there.

ti lists his working adapter as a belkin wireless g, which would
appear to be *exactly* the same as the one i have (F5D7050), but when
i plug that into my xM, i get:

yay, they changed chipset's again, on my x86 my F5D7050 is zd1211 based:

Bus 001 Device 012: ID 050d:705c Belkin Components F5D7050 Wireless G
Adapter v4000 [Zydas ZD1211B]

[65675.849700] phy2 -> rt2500usb_init_eeprom: Error - Invalid RT
chipset detected.
[65675.860015] phy2 -> rt2x00lib_probe_dev: Error - Failed to allocate
device.

so i'm going to guess there's little point continuing until i resolve
this issue (will shortly check log files, "lsmod", etc.).

but, again, this is a case where it would be delightful if someone
would just supply the recipe so i can get this working cuz, without
networking, i'm pretty well hosed.

rday

p.s. i've checked ti's blog here:

http://tirokartblog.wordpress.com/

but it doesn't seem to address this issue.

Regards,

*sigh*. if i look at my adapter, the bold lettering reads
"F5D7050". if i look at the output of "lsusb", i get:

Bus 001 Device 007: ID 050d:705a Belkin Components F5D7050A Wireless
Adapter

rday

Digging thru my pile i found one that is similar:

[ 863.875000] phy2 -> rt2500usb_init_eeprom: Error - Invalid RT
chipset detected.
[ 863.885345] phy2 -> rt2x00lib_probe_dev: Error - Failed to allocate device.
[ 864.163543] Registered led device: rt73usb-phy3::radio
[ 864.163818] Registered led device: rt73usb-phy3::assoc
[ 864.164031] Registered led device: rt73usb-phy3::quality

Bus 001 Device 008: ID 148f:2573 Ralink Technology, Corp. RT2501USB
Wireless Adapter

it does load the driver:

voodoo@omap:~$ lsmod | grep rt
exportfs 3871 1 xfs
rt73usb 21939 0
crc_itu_t 1541 1 rt73usb
rt2500usb 17433 0
rt2x00usb 10238 2 rt73usb,rt2500usb
rt2x00lib 39886 3 rt73usb,rt2500usb,rt2x00usb
mac80211 252998 2 rt2x00usb,rt2x00lib
cfg80211 164413 2 rt2x00lib,mac80211
rtc_twl 5282 0
rtc_core 18220 1 rtc_twl

after "sudo ifconfig -a"

wlan0 Link encap:Ethernet HWaddr 00:0e:e8:d4:18:b9
          UP BROADCAST MULTICAST MTU:1500 Metric:1
          RX packets:0 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
          TX packets:0 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
          collisions:0 txqueuelen:1000
          RX bytes:0 (0.0 B) TX bytes:0 (0.0 B)

sudo iwconfig wlan0 essid myessid

sudo dhclient wlan0

(althought dhclient fails, 50/50 it's actually my cheap n-class router..)

Regards

and that finally did the trick. yee ha! now down to the real work.
i'll probably be back later with more questions.

rday