REV C UPDATE

Fellow Beaglers,

We wanted to give you an update on the Rev C board. We have just finished up the latest spin of the board, so we are running behind schedule. At this point we are looking at the middle of Q1 to get the Rev C out of production.

The key changes are as follows:

1. Addition of the USB Host port…We are moving this to Port 2 on the OMAP3530 instead of Port1. This allows us to align from a SW perspective with other platforms out there such as Pandora.

2. We have added access to the native LCD signals…This however came at a price. We had to move the DVI-D connector to make room for a pair of headers to provide access to the signals. This was a very painful change, especially when coupled with the move to Port2 on the USB. It has taken us several weeks to get it worked in. We hated to move the DVI-D connector, but there wasn’t a way around it.

I have attached a mockup of what the changes will look like in the area around the DVI-D connector to give you an idea of what the change will look like.

If you have any questions, please feel free to let us know.

Gerald

Beagle_exp_LCD_RevC.JPG

Hmm, It looks like I won't be able to use both S-Video and DVI-D at
the same time, because the converter will cover that port.

There is no conflict. As I said, this is a mock up to show the basic idea. This is not a picture of the board. You will be able to use both at the same time.

Gerald

Gerald Coley wrote:

Fellow Beaglers,
We wanted to give you an update on the Rev C board. We have just finished up the latest spin of the board, so we are running behind schedule. At this point we are looking at the middle of Q1 to get the Rev C out of production.
The key changes are as follows:
1) Addition of the USB Host port....We are moving this to Port 2 on the OMAP3530 instead of Port1. This allows us to align from a SW perspective with other platforms out there such as Pandora.
2) We have added access to the native LCD signals...This however came at a price. We had to move the DVI-D connector to make room for a pair of headers to provide access to the signals. This was a very painful change, especially when coupled with the move to Port2 on the USB. It has taken us several weeks to get it worked in. We hated to move the DVI-D connector, but there wasn't a way around it.
I have attached a mockup of what the changes will look like in the area around the DVI-D connector to give you an idea of what the change will look like.
Gerald

Changes look good. I think it will be generally better to have the external connectors confined to just the three sides. I look forward to playing with the LCD signals, is the LCD supported as the default xterm/user console for any of the linux distros yet? I'm still digging through Angstrom and Debian but its not immediately clear.

-Adam

Angstrom has a console both on LCD and serial.

regards,

Koen

The same signals will drive the DVI-D framer. There is a signal that will allow you to disable the framer if you like form SW.

Gerald

[snip]

For rev. d an onwards, have you considered having a 2nd not-expansion board?
That is to say, using another 10pin connector (like the serial port)
to place the
Svideo, Line-out, Mic-In, and other bulky connectors off the main board? Those
pins should be pretty tolerant of the added distance (by virtue of
their usage -
whats another couple inches). that should free up a bunch of space "on the
top end" of the board for signal paths that really need the short distances.

Just a thought off the cuff, so to speak.

That has been considered. we have a lot of ideas that we continue to bat around.

The decision we made early on was standard buses, which means standard connectors. We had not really planned to focus much at all on real expansion. The existing expansion header was just a few standard buses that in and of themselves did not have any sort of standard connectors, like I2C and I2S. This is why we did not make the LCD interface available because at 1.8V, it wouldn’t drive any display anyway. We focused on keepng the cost down. Everything we add from now on must be with keeping the cost under control as it is our foremost concern. There are a lot of OMAP3 base boards out there and our goal is not to compete with them in the area of expansion and I/O. Having done 20 OMAP development board over the years, I have seen what happens when you make everyone happy. There is a lot of waste and everybody pays for it whether they use it or not.

As to Rev D, there are no solid plans in place for that. REV C could be the final revision or we could end up at Rev F. Who knows. We plan to listen, take input, and do what we can when we can, and when it still aligns with our overall goals.

Thank you for the input!

Gerald

Gerald,

Can you explain what is the process between "finishing the latest spin
of the board" and the "Rev is out of production". Why does this take 3
to 4 months?

Grégoire

If I may ask this question here…
Digi-key Europe doesn’t has any more Beagleboards on the stock. Does anybody knows when we can expect them again here?
Middle of Q1 seems a long time from now… :frowning:

Middle of Q1 is for Rev C and not the current revision. We are switching to REV B6, which fixes the layout for the U9 and U11 issue to support a different package. This should solve the U9 and U11 issue we have been having. These boards will show up the first week in November. We should also be shipping another 200 Rev B5 boards this week.

Gerald

There is a rumor on the IRC channel that B6 will switch to ES3.0. Is
that going to happen before Q1?

- Nathan

No. The plan right now is that Rev B6 will be ES2.1. If it changes, I will let everyone know.

Gerald

Layout is under review.

2 weeks to get 20 protoypes in.
1 week to assemble the boards
4 weeks to test the boards and all the new SW
6 weeks to get production boards in.
2 weeks to get first 1000 assembled and tested

Total of 15 weeks, not counting the holidays. I think this makes it to the 1Q of 2009 as I stated.

Gerald

Gerald Coley wrote:
  > The key changes are as follows:

1) Addition of the USB Host port....
2) We have added access to the native LCD signals...

Ther are some rumours about rev C having 256MB of RAM, see
http://elinux.org/BeagleBoard#Revision_C
http://www.beagleboard.org/irclogs/index.php?date=2008-10-01#T19:10:58

Are we getting 256MB RAM in rev C?

Regards,
Frantisek

As you say, that is a rumor. I have no plans to put 256MB on the Rev C board.

Gerald

Hi,

I’m a little bit curious about the beagle board, what type of application did you build with the beagle board?

We know from the datasheet that BB are suitable for developing handheld devices, home entertainment, etc.

But, what kind of application did you guys developed using this board?

Thanks & Best regards !!

As to 256MB I wanted to let everyone know what we are thinking and where we are.

We have been testing the 256MB memory to make sure there are no issues, so there are a few early REV C boards out there, 4 in fact. The concern of making 256MB standard on Rev C is the cost. The 256MB has a significant cost to it and we would need to raise the price of the board to cover the additional cost.

We are not sure if that additional cost will hurt us in allowing us to keep the Beagle affordable or if the additional cost is worth it. We also have the additional cost of the USB host on the REVC which we are planning to absorb, but when you add in the added memory cost, that makes it tougher.

So, right now, the plan is to keep the memory where it is with 128MB. Based on these discussions and other discussions, we may decide to add the 256MB as standard and raise the price of the Beagle. The question is how much increase in cost is acceptable. We may be able to pass on a portion of the cost and absorb the rest, but right now we are not sure if we can. We are due to discuss this tomorrow and I will update everyone with what we decide.

In the mean time, if we could get feedback as to what the added memory is worth, that will help us make the case for moving forward with 256MB as standard on Beagle.

Gerald

Gerald Coley wrote:

In the mean time, if we could get feedback as to what the added memory
is worth, that will help us make the case for moving forward with 256MB
as standard on Beagle.

I'd give you another US$30 per-board for the USB and memory updates, easy.

b.g.

Any application that runs a high level OS such as Linux. Look at the Archos 5 paler that has just been released which has OMAP3530 in it. There is anew class of devices called MID (Mobile Internet Device) that are emerging onto the market and it is projected that in five years it will out sell laptops.

Here is a short list of things that the OMAP is good for:

MID
NAS Servers
Medical Devices
Digital signage
Software Defined Radio
Telecomminucations
Audio
Appliances

I hope this helps!

Gerald

2008/10/16 Johnny You 游文洲 <92502045@cc.ncu.edu.tw>