Hey guys!

I'm pretty sure that you already heard about Raspberry Pi 2
announcement but I find more exciting news that the brand new windows
10 operating system will get official support at Rpi2. Taking in
account more powerful processor (in comparison with the successor) and
super low price, and win10 support of course, - who's gonna buy BBB or
BB-X15?

Rpi2 still doesn't have sata and it's stuck with the usb-net smsc95xx
(10/100). (i still ordered one. .:wink: )

More info about Win10 support is here:
https://dev.windows.com/en-us/featured/raspberrypi2support

Micro$oft is desperate.

Regards,

Microsoft is scared! They are hitting every chip manufacturer they can find. Can’t wait to see Microsoft office on this thing!

Gerald

Needs at least a dual core A15 ? – Bas

And the Dual DSP's for Excel...

Regards,

And the 2GB of non POP LPDDR2 memory, DDR3L.

Gerald

Gerald,

with your logic Linux is scared to sh*t because it definetly hits
almost every processing unit on Earth starting from ARM7 to any
ultimate x86, PowerPC or what else CPU core exists on this planet :slight_smile:

Microsoft supports only a limited number of devices

My point was Microsoft is scared, They are after the Arduino shield market.

Have you worked direct with Microsoft lately? They know what the end result is that they want, but they have no idea how to get there. They are going after every SOC company out there, hard. And the SOC companies, well they are not rushing to get in line for Windows 10. I mean CE was not exactly a big success.

Gerald

What intrigues me about MS's move is whether it'll increase pressure on
Apple to let other manufacturers run iOS for (and ergh I hate this term)
IoT environments.

Pete.

who's gonna buy BBB or BB-X15?

I believe the BeagleBoard.org products will continue to appeal to
people who are interested in prototyping with Open Source Hardware.
The Raspberry Pi Foundation has never released design files under an
Open Source license (simply a schematic PDF afiak), and the Broadcom
processor is not sold via distributors. This means it is not possible
to produce a derivative of the Pi optimized for your application.

As for Windows 10, it may be free of cost but that is entirely
different than the freedom the Linux community provides. Windows has
no hope of ever matching the pace or breadth of Linux kernel
development, so there will always be people for whom their use case is
not supported in Windows.

cheers,
drew
http://keybase.io/pdp7

Today you can join the "Windows Developer Program for IoT":
http://dev.windows.com/en-us/featured/Windows-Developer-Program-for-IoT

Last phrase before the footer of the webpage:
"This program is restricted to noncommercial development.".

paf

Personally, I think Windows( period ) makes less / no sense in the context of an $35 embedded platform. $5 licensing fee ? If so, maybe, but until then. . . no.

Anyway, is there some set rule that we can not buy one of each, or many of some, and a few of another ? That said, I seriously doubt you’re going to find an x15 for $35, or a rPI with a PRU or 4.

If only soc update for rpi

We should talk about allwinner A31s ?

The hardkernel.com ODROID-C1 - quad-core A7 1.5GHz with Gigbit Ethernet, 4 USB 2.0 ports, Mali T-450 GPU, HDMI video/audio only - same $35.00 as Pi 2.

I ordered early from Korea, only $9 shipping and no UK Customs duty.

It arrived in just over a week and I'm thoroughly pleased with it.
I also run the ODROID-X and ODROID-U3.
Regards
Sid.

The ODROID’s look rather intriguing, but if you dig deeper and have an idea what you’re looking for. They’re lacking in many departments. Mostly, they’re not open sourced, and despite looking around a while a few times. I’ve yet to determine whether they have a decent BSP or not. Not to mention that their IO capabilities are rather limited / far less than say any of the beagle hardware. Which if needed, that is very important. Then, TI processors are the only ones available with PRU’s, for “software definable” hardware - As far as I know anyhow.

These boards are rather interesting in that they could serve as a “build system” for just about any ARMv7 SBC, but . . .AFAIK, the rPI group ( community ) could not find a way in software to disable the on die GPU, thus the rPI’s lose X amount of the on board memory to the GPU. Even if you wish to use it or not. So, since the new board uses the same GPU . . . let us hope this problem is / has been resolved.

Now for anyone who does not already know . . . I use Windows daily for multiple purposes on my own personal systems, and am very happy with it. So when i say that Windows has no place in the embedded market space ( at least in this context ). You all can know where I am coming from. Passed that, yes of course MS is not stupid and is not going to let you, I, or any other average non partner Joe in a commercial application without probably a very hefty fee. So, if you think you’re going to be able to use the rPI2 with Windows on it in this capacity . . . you’re in for a very rude awakening.

With that said. I very seriously doubt MS is scared about anything concerning the embedded market. They’re just doing what any software company would / should do in their shoes. Granted they have a very poor track record outside of the x86 arena . . . but yeah. There was CE, and every version of Windows from XP on had an embedded version. All revolving around x86, and guess what ? You can not hardly go into any retail store in the US, and not use a Windows system when you check out. Via self, or cashier . . .

I will. BBB is more suited to OEM use than RPi (though I did buy a Pi2, they both run Python). I would not built RPi into an OEM system which I had to support for 5+ years.

I can’t imagine Windows actually doing anything useful on RPi. I don’t see how Windows 10 (whatever it really turns out to be) competes in any real way with the openness and reliability of embedded Linux, based on what I understand about the embedded device and control space.

Bruce

I can’t imagine Windows actually doing anything useful on RPi. I don’t see how Windows 10 (whatever it really turns out to be) competes in any real way with the openness and reliability of embedded Linux, based on what I understand about the embedded device and control space.

There is one thing useful Windows can do on the rPI, or other embedded system. And that would be use the .NET base class library. Sure, there is Mono on Linux, but Mono is no where near as complete as MS’s .NET framework.

For me personally. I gave up on .NET in the embedded space a long time ago, and I’m honestly not missing it one bit. For others though, who only know high level languages . . . this could be a big deal.

Performance wise, Windows would be a dog on such a device . . .

if you can give me a single reason to use windows…
Why are you waiting for windows support ? What do you get extra ?

Andrey

Is there any hope for Windows 10 to be ported to the BBB? Pardon if that’s an ignorant question. We need Windows to support existing HMI-style software, unfortunately. Sure, it could be re-written in linux but my boss is not too keen on giving me a few months off work to learn how to write OPC drivers and HMI controls in c++. :-/

Thanks!

Davey