OK, I, like many others, have been beating my head against the wall trying to get reliable WIFI operation using the RTL8192CU (that would be the Realtek/Adafruit dongle) chip-set.
My latest round involved:
Installing the vendor drivers into the kernel using:
Filling in /etc/network/interfaces so ifconfig would work;
(I think there might be some redundancy in all these config files, but I hit every one)
5)…then additionally doing steps 8b, 8d,8e,8f in:
(this updates wpa_supplicant.conf, among other things)
6)Then… if I was lucky and the wlan0 became associated (might take forever if at all):
…to get the IP address from my DNS server.
I went thru a gazillion re-boots, re-running wpa_supplicant manually, etc… with very spotty results/
Then I found it.
After a reboot, I noticed that wpa_supplicant was already running as a service by doing:
For gee-whiz, I killed the process, then started up my version:
wpa_supplicant -B -Dwext -iwlan0 -c/etc/wpa_supplicant.conf
By the time I ran wpa_cli, the adapter was already associated! This was a process that previously took many minutes, to hours, to not at all!
Ok, so then I did:
…and the IP address was obtained in seconds.
I repeated this exercise many times tonight, and I can get on my network quickly and reliably. I can fire up a browser and websurf, etc…
The bottom line is that I think it is possible that many folks are having difficulty with feuding wpa_suppliant processes. Nowhere in any of the web guidance for getting WIFI going on the BBB have I seen an advisory to stop the original wpa_supplicant process.
Tonight I wrote a good part of a python script to automate this process. I need to add just a few more lines to it and then figure out the systemd stuff to get it to run by itself automatically on system boot.
This is likely not everybody’s problem, but it is another piece of the puzzle – and it got me going.