Send SMS from Beaglebone in 2022

I’m looking for a way to get a Beaglebone Black running Debian to send an SMS. I believe one way to accomplish this is to send an email to an address determined by the service that the recipient uses, e.g. cell-phone-number@vtext.com for a Verizon customer. To do this, I would have to have a way to send email from the BBB that will be accepted by some email service. In 2022, this is not so simple as it once was, because email servers want to prevent spammers from abusing them.

The case I’m interested in uses a portable Beaglebone. It will move from place to place, accessing the Internet through a local access point, getting its IP address via DHCP, so it won’t have a fixed IP address. I believe that this makes such things as SSL certificates impossible, but I don’t really understand the ins and outs of those, nor if they’re required for this scenario.

So, my questions are:

1. is there some way to configure the BBB, using, say, sendmail or postfix or some other mail transfer agent, so that it will be able to send email to an email service (such as smtp.gmail.com)? Note, I’m not interested in receiving email.
  2. Is there some other way to send SMS messages?

If anyone knows where I can find out about such things, I’d love to learn.
Thanks!

Almost all native mail applications support sending email thru gmail at this point, you just need to create an “application” specific password in your google settings…

Then search google for email program an gmail…

Here is one example.

https://wiki.debian.org/Exim4Gmail

Regards,