serial console on rev c

Hi

I am booting from sd card successfully and now I want to utilize the serial cable to see the boot message and control the uboot options. I have connected the USB cable from my xp host to the serial connection on the board. I have set the hyperterm settings correct and attempting to connect via the correct com port as defined by windows device manager (com6). However nothing is ever displayed in the window.

Any suggestions on how to troubleshoot?

Thanks

G

You need to make sure that you have the right IDC cable and a null modem cable. I suggest that you look at the Sytem Reference Manual and go through the serial cable troubleshooting section. It will take you step by step to make sure you have the right cables.

Gerald

Thanks Gerald,

I forgot to mention that I purchased the cables from special comp based on the beagleboard wiki. I do not have the usb powering the board, I have a power usb hub with a 5v power adapter.

Any other help or suggestions would be appreciated…

Thanks

Greg

I have never worked with those cables, but I suspect that they are OK. Make sure that the IDC end is oriented correctly on the header, pin 1 to the stripe.

Gerald

Agreed. I tried to troubleshoot the same problem for about 20 minutes
before I sheepishly realized that I had the stripe on the wrong side!

Well, I hate to say this, but it still happens to me every now and then!

Gerald