Setting up TFTP and NFS

Debian might be perceived as more stable, but it uses old version of almost every package and the core repository is way smaller than Ubuntu so you have to hunt around for other repos to find the packages you need and then Debian becomes less stable.

Hunt around for what packages ? In the context of the current discussion I’ve never had to “hunt” for anything. I’ve had to compile my own stuff from sources when I wanted something custom . . . Now if you want cutting edge stuff, you’re almost certainly going to run into trouble no matter what distro you use. But that is not what we’re talking about. We’re talking about running a distro in a VM for the sole purpose of supporting the Beaglebone black.

The following article does a pretty fair comparison of Ubuntu vs Debian.

http://www.udemy.com/blog/debian-vs-ubuntu/

Just search google for “Ubuntu vs Debian” and there are many more articles that help explain which OS is right for you.

Regards,
John

I do not need to read an article or google John, I’ve had tons of experience with both.

I do not need to read an article or google John, I’ve had tons of experience with both.

The problem I have is when you make disparaging remarks about other distros. In reality the other distros work fine and you are only having trouble with them because you haven’t spent a lot of time with them. I had trouble with Debian, but only because I’ve spent more time with Ubuntu. I’m sure if I took the time to work with Debian, it would work fine for me also. If Mint was so bad, no one would be using it; but they have a big following. It just so happens that you and I aren’t one of them.

Regards,
John

My NFS rootfs instructions work EXACTLY the same as they did last year when I wrote the that post. I did too much thinking and confused myself with the new example nfs-uEnv.txt file. This mean that what Robert has setup can be overridden this means that https://eewiki.net/display/linuxonarm/BeagleBone+Black#BeagleBoneBlack-DealingwitholdBootloaderineMMC modified by commenting out mmcargs

#mmcargs=setenv bootargs console=tty0 console=${console} ${optargs} ${cape_disable} ${cape_enable} root=${mmcroot} rootfstype=${mmcrootfstype} ${cmdline}
then adding:
netargs=setenv bootargs console=${console} ${optargs} root=/dev/nfs nfsroot=${serverip}:${rootpath},vers=3 rw ip=${static_ip}
and editing:
uenvcmd=run loadall; run mmcargs; bootz ${loadaddr} - ${fdtaddr};
to:
uenvcmd=setenv autoload no; run loadall; run netargs; bootz ${loadaddr} - ${fdtaddr}

Works exactly the same as it did before. There are some diffferences, but if you take the time to understand how this all works it should be no problem setting up. Of course the rest of the instruction on my blog post are necessary too. ipaddr / serverip, etc etc. The reason why this is important to me is that I have no use at the moment for using TFTP for loading the kernel via network. However, im nearly 100% sure this aspect could be overridden as well. As it is, Robert has made this really simple . . . but those who do not understand how it works will still have problems.

Robert, sorry for popping off on you about this, you did an excellent job. I was just confused, with little time to think / work on this last week.

oh, and if there is any doubt . . .

login as: root
Debian GNU/Linux 7

BeagleBoard.org BeagleBone Debian Image 2014-08-19

Support/FAQ: http://elinux.org/Beagleboard:BeagleBoneBlack_Debian
root@beaglebone:~# passwd
Enter new UNIX password:
Retype new UNIX password:
passwd: password updated successfully
root@beaglebone:~# df -h /
Filesystem Size Used Avail Use% Mounted on
192.168.xxx.xxx:/home/william/rootfs-testing 136G 3.9G 125G 3% /