Simultaneous boot, Windows and BBB - windows hangs

When I plug a Beaglebone black (Rev B or C) into some of the windows machines I have and power them both on simultaneously, windows (7) will freeze during the boot process. Has anybody else reported this? or experienced this? I haven’t been able to find any help about this already published online.

If I boot one, then the other, things are fine.

I’m guessing it is one of the devices the Beaglebone exposes coming online during the beaglebone boot process. I’d like to disable them individually to see which one might be the culprit, but I can’t figure out how they are started during the boot process.

In the latest Debian, how do I disable these gadgets individually? (Serial gadget, File storage gadget, RNDIS gadget?)

Thanks!

I have seen this on windows machines when you have a USB thumb drive installed on power up.

Gerald

When I plug a Beaglebone black (Rev B or C) into some of the windows
machines I have and power them both on simultaneously, windows (7) will
freeze during the boot process. Has anybody else reported this? or
experienced this? I haven't been able to find any help about this already
published online.

Well, with no "os" running on the PC, how is the "beagle" suppost to
request the power it needs over 'usb' to run? The fact windows locks
up over that sounds like a usb host bug, try support@microsoft.com

I'm guessing it is one of the devices the Beaglebone exposes coming online
during the beaglebone boot process. I'd like to disable them individually to
see which one might be the culprit, but I can't figure out how they are
started during the boot process.

In the latest Debian, how do I disable these gadgets individually? (Serial
gadget, File storage gadget, RNDIS gadget?)

/opt/scripts/boot/am335x_evm.sh line 76.

Regards,

I’ve had PCs that would do this with regular USB HDD’s attached at boot time. Or, more correctly this was a BIOS issue that would lock the PC up, if a USB storage device was attached at boot. The only thing that could fix this was if the USB device was selected as the primary boot device. Or removing the USB device at boot.

This was also with hardware made prior to Windows 7( perhaps even Vista ), just before every manufacturer started supporting USB boot as a BIOS boot option.

I’ve had PCs that would do this with regular USB HDD’s attached at boot time. Or, more correctly this was a BIOS issue that would lock the PC up, if a USB storage device was attached at boot. The only thing that could fix this was if the USB device was selected as the primary boot device. Or removing the USB device at boot.

I suspected the file-storage component of the driver because of this… But the hang happens after the BIOS, at the “Starting Windows” screen while the four colors are flying towards you.

Well, with no “os” running on the PC, how is the “beagle” suppost to
request the power it needs over ‘usb’ to run? The fact windows locks
up over that sounds like a usb host bug, try sup...@microsoft.com

Yes it’s definitely happening on the windows side. I’m not expecting a lot of help from them, but I should see what they say…
It also happens when I boot the bone first with its own power supply, and then boot windows after the bone boot process has started… I don’t think the beaglebone requests power over usb for this configuration.

In the latest Debian, how do I disable these gadgets individually? (Serial
gadget, File storage gadget, RNDIS gadget?)

/opt/scripts/boot/am335x_evm.sh line 76.

Thanks! Bingo! If I comment this line out entirely windows boots okay
sleep 15 right before that line works too.
I tried changing options for the line, but the only ones that worked were ones that caused g_multi to not load.

Drew, for what it is worth, I have not experienced this issue in quite a while. With “proper” USB boot support built into most BIOSes now days. Back in this time period I used mostly ABIT motherboards, but did try one Asrock board ( garbage ), which I am thinking was the problem board. shrug

In fact on this system I’m using now I recently installed Windows 7 from a USB flash drive. The BBB also stays up while I reboot as well ( Asus USB driver neatness ).

Glad you got your problem solved :slight_smile: