Slidshow no longer works and cannot debug with Cloud9

Hi there!

I just started playing with a BeagleBone I’ve had lying around for a little while.

I have some (not much) experience with linux, but mainly Ubuntu, and have never played with anything quite like this.

I got everything installed as needed. I plugged in the Beaglebone, ejected it from within Windows Explorer and navigated to 192.168.7.2, as per the instructions found here. I start going through the little slideshow, which I find quite informative. I get to the slide which has links to blink the LEDs in it. They work. Awesome. I get to the slide with link to Cloud9 and something else. I click the Cloud9 link, expecting it to open in a new tab. It doesn’t. Whatever. I go through the tour and then try to go back to the slideshow. It doesn’t work anymore and tells me that “index.html” doesn’t exist. I try in firefox (I was in chrome). Still doesn’t work. Cloud9 does, though.

I reboot. The slideshow still doesn’t doesn’t work, but this time I don’t even get a message about “index.html” not existing. I wonder what does/doesn’t work, so I open up Cloud9. Everything seems ok. I try to plug in the sample code from the link I mentioned previously and run it as described. Doesn’t work. I use Putty and log in. I can turn the LEDs on and off by echo-ing 0 or 1 to the appropriate files, but nothing from within Cloud9.

Then I tell myself that perhaps the slideshow was being served up using Node. The led blinking example was in JS, so perhaps there is a problem with node and that’s why I’m not getting anything. I have a bit of background in web development (Apache/PHP/MySQL, specifically) but do not know how Node works. It seems to run correctly when I run “node” from the shell, but I assume there needs to be a particular instance of it running to serve up/run the stuff from Cloud9 and the slideshow?

Anyway, I just want to start fiddling.

Is there something I’m missing? Is this normal? Or should I re-image?

Also, is there a good, detailed reference somewhere on using BoneScript? And a good reference on getting stuff done outside of BoneScript? Can I write applications in other languages from within Cloud9? Or is that something I’ll have to do differently?

I’m really excited about playing with the BeagleBone, especially since it seems I’ll be able to read/run a lot more stuff more easily than with my arduino, but at the moment I’m feeling incredibly lost and confused.

Thanks in advance for any help!

Raph

What version of the BeagleBone Black image are you using?

Gerald

Hi Gerald,

I don’t know which one I was using last night when I posted, but I re-imaged and am now using:

Angstrom-Cloud9-IDE-GNOME-eglibc-ipk-v2012.12-beaglebone-2013.06.20.img

Just to clarify (in case it matters), I am using a BeagleBone and not a BeagleBone Black.

Since I re-imaged, all I can do is connect with Putty over serial. I cannot even load Cloud9 anymore.

I feel like the virtual ethernet over usb is no longer working. Here is what I get from ifconfig:

root@beaglebone:~# ifconfig

eth0 Link encap:Ethernet HWaddr 00:18:31:8F:47:B8
UP BROADCAST MULTICAST MTU:1500 Metric:1
RX packets:0 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
TX packets:0 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
collisions:0 txqueuelen:1000
RX bytes:0 (0.0 B) TX bytes:0 (0.0 B)
Interrupt:56

lo Link encap:Local Loopback
inet addr:127.0.0.1 Mask:255.0.0.0
inet6 addr: ::1/128 Scope:Host
UP LOOPBACK RUNNING MTU:65536 Metric:1
RX packets:0 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
TX packets:0 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
collisions:0 txqueuelen:0
RX bytes:0 (0.0 B) TX bytes:0 (0.0 B)

Thanks for the help!

I will need to defer to those that are running those images on BeagleBone boards. I am up to my eyeballs in BBB. In theory they should work, however, the BBW has USB hub between the processor and the USB client port. The BBB does not. You also need to install the FTDI serial drivers for the BBW.

You could also try the latest image 9_4

Gerald

From the serial console, have you tried looking at the dmesg log for any clues? I’ve included my BBW dmesg as reference. At around 6.7 seconds, you can see the init of ‘gadget’ in my dmesg log. Is yours starting? How about rndis?

You can also see if services are running by typing the following in the console:

systemctl
look for cloud9, connman, gateone. Are they active and running?

Another option is to get a more detailed dmesg log by running this:

journalctl

look for any errors…

Louis

dmesg_landscape.txt (30.3 KB)