Slim factor LCD for the B

Hi!

So I’m pretty new to whole BB idea, which I find really awesome.
I’ve bought myself a BBB and have come up with a great idea for it, BUT… for this idea to work - I need a really slim LCD (possibly a smartphone LCD - 720p MAX), so most of the converters are out of the question, even Chalkboard Electronics board.

So, naturally I’ve started to research this question, but since I have no experience in working with LCDs, some guidance is required:

1. So far, my research led me to believe, that the best way of creating the slimmest design in these conditions is - getting a plain LCD and hook it up to my BBB’s HDMI output through a TI TFP401 chip, so as not to use any GPIOs. Is this correct?
  2. I’ve found some info about a LCD driver chip, but no mentions as to, what it does. Can you please explain this to me and give me some example chips (that are relevant for use)?
  3. Also, I would like to have an EDID option on this display, so as not to have resolution problems. But I can’t figure out - how to generate it and how it should be interfaced with my board?

Thank you, in advance.

P.S. If you can give me some valid links about my questions, that would be really awesome.

Greetings,

Hi!

So I’m pretty new to whole BB idea, which I find really awesome.
I’ve bought myself a BBB and have come up with a great idea for it, BUT… for this idea to work - I need a really slim LCD (possibly a smartphone LCD - 720p MAX), so most of the converters are out of the question, even Chalkboard Electronics board.

just as a start, the boards you have seen out there are not “converters”, they are simple transition boards that allows the parallel display data signals to be connected to a TFT LCD.

So, naturally I’ve started to research this question, but since I have no experience in working with LCDs, some guidance is required:

1. So far, my research led me to believe, that the best way of creating the slimmest design in these conditions is - getting a plain LCD and hook it up to my BBB’s HDMI output through a TI TFP401 chip, so as not to use any GPIOs. Is this correct?

there is not such thing as “a plain LCD”. there are literally thousands of different types of LCDs with different types of interfaces. the simplest to connect to most embedded development boards such as the beaglebone black is to use the parallel display signals. you can find a wide range of off-the-shelf TFT LCD panels that can easily interface with these signals. an example of doing this is the LCD3 cape. connecting via the HDMI interface on the beaglebone black is another possibility…

http://hipstercircuits.com/finally-a-working-4-3-hdmi-compatible-lcd/

1. I’ve found some info about a LCD driver chip, but no mentions as to, what it does. Can you please explain this to me and give me some example chips (that are relevant for use)?

without you telling us what the part number is we have no idea what it could be used for as i have stated there are literally thousands of different types of display interfaces.

1. Also, I would like to have an EDID option on this display, so as not to have resolution problems. But I can’t figure out - how to generate it and how it should be interfaced with my board?

EDID is stored in an off-the-shelf I2C based EEPROM.

for a full introduction into many of the current display technologies and methods, along with some information on EDID, you can view the slides and video of my presentation on the subject:

http://elinux.org/Elc-lcd

Dave Anders

Thank you for your answer.

1. By “plain LCD”, I meant an LCD with no added hardware - just it’s interface. And still - do you think, that the best way to connect a display would be through the HDMI to a parallel LCD interface AND is this possible at all?
  2. An example is HX8363-A
  3. I am sorry, but I did not find the answer for the EDID. I can store it on EEPROM - ok! But how do I implement it for the system? Where should it go? By what means?

Thank you for your answer.

1. By “plain LCD”, I meant an LCD with no added hardware - just it’s interface. And still - do you think, that the best way to connect a display would be through the HDMI to a parallel LCD interface AND is this possible at all?

again, there is no such thing as a “plain LCD”. there will always be some hardware required. the least amount of hardware and the least amount of work is to use the parallel display data signals directly to a TFT LCD, just like the one i linked you to:

1. An example is HX8363-A

that is an example of a display driver chip. usually these types of chips are integrated directly onto the display.

1. I am sorry, but I did not find the answer for the EDID. I can store it on EEPROM - ok! But how do I implement it for the system? Where should it go? By what means?

in the presentation EDID is explain as just a set of data describing the display. the exact structure for EDID can be found here:

once you have created an appropriate EDID data structure, you simply copy it to the EEPROM…

Dave Anders