Sourcing BeagleBone Black in bulk for a Kickstarter project

My name is Evan Prodromou; I’m the lead developer on a social network server called pump.io. It lets you set up a social site for friends, family and colleagues, and connect your site into a world-wide social network.

I want to make this easy for people by shipping them a working social appliance - a small server with pump.io pre-installed that you can plug in to the wall and your network and have it Just Work.

With the recent stories about the NSA and PRISM, I think this is a good project for a Kickstarter.

My rough idea for the appliance:

• BeagleBone Black (or similar device)

• Ubuntu or a Debian-like server OS

• pump.io

• Enough storage for photos, text, and social data

To make it appliance-simple, some custom features for this project would be:

• UPnP to grab port 80 or port 443
  • Dyn-dns-style domains (yourname.pumper.co)
  • Over-the-air upgrades via an APT repo
  • Pre-installed SSL cert

Here are my questions:

• Is it possible to source BBB in bulk? I don’t want to do a Kickstarter with 100 or 1000 or 10,000 devices as rewards if I don’t have any idea that I can actually get those devices in some timely fashion (3 months? 12 months?)
  • I’d love to find someone who does BBB turnkey appliances – like, I send a disk image, and they send out assembled board + cables + case to end users. There are other platforms that do this; is there anyone doing it with BBB?

I’m a real n00b when it comes to these devices, so I could really use some guidance here.

Read this link.

http://circuitco.com/support/index.php?title=BeagleBoneBlack#Terms_of_Use

If you have any questions, you can contact me direct.

Gerald

Only, if you are a distributor!

Gerald

Hi Evan,

We may be able to help you. Logic Supply is an official distributor of the BeagleBone Black. We just designed a case for it, see http://www.logicsupply.com/products/bb100. We design and assemble turnkey appliances and do drop shipping. Feel free to contact our sales team at sales@logicsupply.com for details.

Roland Groeneveld
Logic Supply
www.logicsupply.com