bluetooth 109654 4 rfcomm,hidp
rfkill 14605 2 bluetooth
ipv6 210442 14
root@beaglebone:~#

root@beaglebone:~# ls /dev/spi*
ls: cannot access /dev/spi*: No such file or directory
root@beaglebone:~#

How to win with spidev?
Does the kernel still need to be rebuild to include spidev?
How to create spidev* under /dev/ ?

Jan

Hi Jan,

I wrote a small bog post on how to enable spidev with the beaglebone. This comes up about once a week so searching back through past posts will also yield some good results.

http://communistcode.co.uk/blog/blogPost.php?blogPostID=1

Regards,
Jack.

Hi Jack,

Thanks for your reply.Much appreciate as well your help in a form of tutorials on your website.

Can you confirm/deny that I have to rebuild the kernel/filesystem even if using the latest Angstrom image for the Beaglebone?
That would save me a lot of time.

I did follow your instruction from here http://communistcode.co.uk/blog/blogPost.php?blogPostID=2
and after a days a multiple tries and searching for solution I finally manage to succed and have files in build/tmp-*/work/deploy/images/beaglebone
It all works without any custom changes.

Now I go here http://communistcode.co.uk/blog/blogPost.php?blogPostID=1
Step 1) Add the following struct to the kernel source file arch/arm/mach-omap2/board-am335xevm.c
The first problem is that I don’t have that file, where is it? what is wrong?
the search:
user@ubuntu:~$ sudo find / -name ‘board-am335xevm.c’
returns no results.
Can you help me to move further.

Thanks again

Jan

Hi Jan,

This will be the topic of my next blog post, recompiling the kernel with custom patches. I am going to try and get it done this weekend as it seems a few people would be interested in it.

I'm glad you managed to get your build going, it sometimes takes a bit of effort and the learning curve is steep for someone new to embedded Linux but it will click eventually!

Regards,

Hi everyone,

I just quickly wrote the 'Recompiling the BeagleBone Kernel for Angstrom'`` blog post up this morning. It can be found at the link below.

Regards,

You do realize there's a better kernel workflow linked from the angstrom frontpage, right? That doesn't do silly things like removing rm_work, which is highly discouraged.

For the people too lazy to open up the angstrom frontpage: http://www.slimlogic.co.uk/2011/05/openembeddedangstrom-kernel-workflow/

Correct as usual Koen, I'll adapt my work flow (and blog post) now I know about these additional Bitbake features! I believe I have read the Kernel work flow post a while ago but it slipped my mind, and since then I just fell into a certain way of doing it which suited me during the (minimal) amount of Kernel work I currently do.

Regards,

Thanks guy,

I have to admit now I’m a bit more confused now and that means more reading and experimenting.
There seems to be 2 extreme models for Beaglebone usage:

1. Beaglebone as Arduino on steroid path(low end)
  2. Open Embedded path(high end)
    I am somewhere in between, but rather prefer the second path.
    Unfortunately OE is very difficult to comprehend, user unfriendly and I would be happy
    to see some improvements to it.
    Once again thanks for your help.

Jan

Jack,
     Thanks for your blog. I found it most useful. I am still confused by the .bus_num=1 when pins 18 and 21 refer to spi_0. If I am to use spi_1, should I set .bus_num=2? In other words doe the hardware numbering differ from the bus numbering 0,1,... vs. 1,2,... ?

Thanks,

Dave.

Hi Dave,

Yes I believe altering the bus number to 2 will give you spidev2.0 - when I refer to spi_0 it is purely a reference only - I agree, spi_1 would have made more sense! It also works with chip-selects so 2.1 would be bus 2, chip select 1 (again if I am remembering correctly!).

Regards,
Jack