spontaneous reboot issues bbb, jessie 8.4 console image of 4/7/2016, 4.4.9 -bone-rt-r10 LTS kernel

PS. Is this the best place to put bug/issue reports? I believe this relates to the core image & kernel of a Jessie LTS release.

That’s odd…

http://rcn-ee.homeip.net:81/farm/uptime/test-bbb-6.log

Double check your power supply…

Robert,

You make a good point. Maybe a brownout/blackout caused it. We had a tstorm roll through here last night, and I’m not running power from a UPS, I wish there was someway to catch a spontaneous power loss in the logs so I could differentiate that out, but the syslog shows nothing in these cases. I’ll try again with (more) stable power.

Is it normal for the buffer count to steadily increase like I’m seeing? Could it be my own stat logging that is causing it? Maybe I’m doing something and just not seeing it straight, but I’m trying to have as minimal an impact as I can on the running system.

Thanks for your thoughts.

Best,
ST

PS. Out of curiosity, how many machines are in your testing farm? Do you have a photo? I’ve got a whopping 2. :slight_smile:

I’ve a BBW running 24/7 since December with: BeagleBoard.org Debian Image 2015-11-12, kernel 4.1.18-ti-r49 #1 SMP PREEMPT Fri Feb 26 00:12:54 UTC 2016 armv7l GNU/Linux

It is on a UPS and I’ve had exactly one lock up, happened last week – actually looked like it had powered down, all LEDs off. We also had a thunderstorm roll through about when its last heartbeat message came, but the UPS never “beeped” nor did the lights flicker (unusual, this generally means it was only a very minor thunderstorm as things go around here).

I posted a thread on it when it happened. What was weird was the reset button or unplugging and re-plugging the 5V “barrel connector” power-supply didn’t restart it, so I thought it’d fried. I left it unplugged while checking some other parts of the system and when I when back to it 10+ minutes later it booted right up when I plugged it in – almost like some kind of thermal overload, but nothing is even warm to the touch on the board. It still running 24/7 since, another small thunderstorm is rolling through as I type this, I’ll see what if anything happens.