Still chasing "Make Install -d" problem

Here is the Install part of the Make file:

install: all

$(MAKE) -C $(OSD) install

install -d $(DESTDIR)$(bindir)

install -m 755 $(BINFILES) $(DESTDIR)$(bindir)

install -d $(DESTDIR)$(sbindir)

install -m 755 $(SBINFILES) $(DESTDIR)$(sbindir)

Here is what “make install V=1” reports

install -d /usr/local/bin

make[1]: install: Command not found

make[1]: *** [install] Error 127

This is what “make install -n” reports:

install -m 755 aircrack-ng airdecap-ng packetforge-ng ivstools kstats makeivs-ng airdecloak-ng wpaclean besside-ng-crawler /usr/local/bin

install -d /usr/local/sbin

install -m 755 aireplay-ng airodump-ng airserv-ng airtun-ng airbase-ng besside-ng /usr/local/sbin

make[1]: warning: Clock skew detected. Your build may be incomplete.

make[1]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/aircrack-ng/src’

make -C scripts install

make[1]: Entering directory `/usr/src/aircrack-ng/scripts’

make[1]: Warning: File `…/common.mak’ has modification time 407676318 s in the future

install -m 755 airodump-ng-oui-update /usr/local/sbin

install -m 755 airmon-ng airmon-zc airdriver-ng /usr/local/sbin

Does anybody know what "install -d " does ?

It looks to me like it is trying to put the compiled files into /usr/local/bin and /usr/local/sbin.

But what is Error 127 ?

Have you read man install ?? -d, --directory treat all arguments as directory names; create all components of the specified directories As I stated before you have something wrong with your install or build tools or path or all the above. It is not finding install as stated by the error make[1]: *** [install] Error 127 basically that error number is stating what it says the line above and what I stated in the previous email. It can not find install. 127 = command not found and that can be any command not just install. But for your case it is just for install. What OS are you even trying to use? Ubuntu Angstom, Yocto, your own what? Or start tracking down your build tools, file a bug report or cross compile it on your desktop/laptop. You could even use distcc. There is nothing wrong with the make file.

Thanks Don;

I should have tried “man install” first

I am trying to use Angstrom:

Angstrom v2012.05 - Kernel 3.2.34

GNU Make 3.82

Built for arm-angstrom-linux-gnueabi

I tried “opkg upgrade” and it didn’t fix the tools. (Thought it was worth a try.)

I also tried “opkg install task-native-sdk” and it said that the package was up to date.

Let me check and see what the path is set to.

Seems to me that if it can find GCC it should be able to find “install”. No ?

Have you read
man install
??

-d, --directory
treat all arguments as directory names; create all components of the specified directories

As I stated before you have something wrong with your install or build tools or path or all the above.

It is not finding install as stated by the error

make[1]: install: Command not found

make[1]: *** [install] Error 127

basically that error number is stating what it says the line above and what I stated in the previous email. It can not find install. 127 = command not found and that can be any command not just install. But for your case it is just for install.

What OS are you even trying to use? Ubuntu Angstom, Yocto, your own what? Or start tracking down your build tools, file a bug report or cross compile it on your desktop/laptop. You could even use distcc.

There is nothing wrong with the make file.

Thanks for all the help. I’ll re-post soon.

Bill

Hello Don and fellow list members;

I solved my “make install –d” problem, but I am not sure what the root cause was.

Basically. The “coreutils” package was missing from my root file system.

I believe that I used the one from the beagle bone demo images, but I have yet to verify it.

There are one of two possibilities.

1. It was accidentally left out of “task-native-sdk”

2. When I did an “opkg upgrade” it was removed for some reason and not replaced.

When I get a chance, I will try an replicate the problem.

Hope this helps someone else.

I’ll post more updates when I get a chance.

Bill