Support for BBB kernel

I thought about that, I just wanted to make sure it wouldn’t blow away and .config file that already existed.

$ cp /path/to/.config /save/path/.config.old /* Or .config., or .config.*/

:wink:

Ok, I’ve got a confusion.

I found a backup is the ti-linux-kernel-dev tree that I used to create the 3.14.49-ti-r62 kernel that I’ve been using. It dates to 20150827. When I rebuild with tools/rebuild.sh everything gets recompiled. I have rebuilt my development system with Kubuntu 1204 64 bit, but that doesn’t seem like it should force a recompile of everything.

Any idea what is happening?

Yeah, I thought about that, but that means that once you do the build_kernel, you have to restore the old .config and then rebuild with tools/rebuild.sh taking potentially twice as long.

I seem to be having bigger issues right now, so this isn’t as big a deal as I thought.

Thanks,

Hi Robert,

As I said above, I found a backup of the ti-linux-kernel-dev directory from when I built my working kernel. I’ve tried to build it now on three systems, two x86 systems, one Kubuntu 12-04, one Kubuntu 14-04, and the third system, an OMAP-UEVM running a debian build of yours. On two of them the build doesn’t finish (the 14-04 x86 and the UEVM), it compiles most everything, does links of some builtins.o files and then just stops without error messages and without creating the final kernel or the tar archives in the deploy directory. The third system finishes, the kernel boots, but it fails to read a max1363 ADC that is connected to the I2C bus. The I2C bus is enabled in the config, as is IIO and the ADC.

I had originally built this kernel on a Kubuntu 12-04 system last August. Now I can’t get it to compile a fully working system. On at least the UEVM system, if I run the build_kernel.sh script again, it tries to download new code and fails because the tags from back then are all bad and it can’t check the newest version out.

I’m about at my wits end, I need to be able to build a fully working kernel, and have in the past, but now it doesn’t work. I’ve verified that the config file that I’m using to compile the various kernel builds matches the one from the working kernel. I’ve verified that the dtb is the correct one, either the original working one, or a new one built with the kernel.

Any suggestions that you may have would be greatly appreciated.

Regards,

if you know the tag, use yakbuild. It was written specifically for the
issue you reference..

Regards,

So did you do a git pull on your existing ti-linux-kernel-dev project? If you did, then it won’t build. To see the error, you have to scroll back, sometime you have to scroll back a lot to see the error. If the build was successful, you will see the deploy folder update successfully. The reason you don’t see the error at the end is because of the parallel build. The builder launches several threads and when one thread has an error, the other threads continue until they finish.

Regards,
John

Hi Robert,
The problem that I’ve got with that is the tag doesn’t make sense, its 3.14.49-ti-r62, which seems to be wrong, the 3.14.40 version was released with -r62, the 3.14.49 version was released with -r73.

While I can pull 3.14.49-ti-r73 with yakbuild, I’m having the same build problem, everything works except the read of the ADC. I’ve built several different 3 series kernels, I can’t get any of them to read the ADC. The only one that works is my build from last August.

What’s got me confused/frustrated now is that, at some point it was possible to build a kernel that had the ADC working, now I can’t get it to work. I don’t know what has changed, I’m using the same .config, I’ve built it in the same environment. Nothing seems to work.

Regards,
Greg

Have you installed the ADC devicetree overlay?

Regards,
John

sudo sh -c "echo ‘BB-ADC' > /sys/devices/platform/bone_capemgr/slots"

Regards,
John

I’ve got a custom dtb that has the ADC in it. I’ve been using the ADC for almost a year now. The problem is that I can’t rebuild the kernel that does work, or get any other kernel to build and work with it either.

Regards,
Greg