Switching from Angstrom to Debian for the BBB

Robert,

I switched to systemd, but the problem still exists. Is there a guide on debugging the cape manager? The only messages I see are:

[ 2.559511] bone-capemgr bone_capemgr.9: failed to load firmware 'argus-ups-00A0.dtbo'
[ 2.567868] bone-capemgr bone_capemgr.9: loader: failed to load slot-7 argus-ups:00A0 (prio 0)

I would like to find out some more information as to why this failure.

Regards,

Dave.

In desperation, I added a printk to capemgr to print out the return value from request_firmware. I get -2 ENOENT, but the file name is in /lib/firmware exactly as printed in the error line. Another thought is that Debian appears to use initrd, whereas I don't think Angstrom does? Could this be the issue? Any ideas would be very welcome.

Thanks,

Dave.

You could try updating the initrd..

sudo /boot/uboot/tools/update_boot_files.sh

Regards,

Thanks for the suggestion Robert. That is good to know, unfortunately it did not fix the problem :frowning: I now suspect that the firmware load request from capemgr is happening before /lib/firmware is accessible, but this is just a WAG. I need to understand the way capemgr works before I can offer any logical explanation :-[

Regards,

Dave.

Why not disabling the cap manager at the boot (is it possible?) and later push yourself the config that you want in the slot?

Micka,

Thanks Micka. I was considering just removing the request to capemgr via uEnv.txt, and writing a service to populate the slot. Ultimately the loading should be taken care of via the EEPROM signature, but that has not yet been implemented. I was just curious as to what was the difference between Debian and Angstrom which makes capemgr.enable_partno not work reliably on Debian.

Best regards,

Dave.

Robert,
     I just wanted to check if you got the patch I sent you directly. I know you are very busy, so I was not expecting any immediate feedback.

Best regards,

Dave.