The next Beagle is here, BeaglePlay!

See https://beagleplay.org

Announcement: https://beagleplay.org/announce
Documentation: BeaglePlay — BeagleBoard Documentation
Design: BeaglePlay / beagleplay · GitLab

Stay tuned!

2 Likes

That looks nice !

I assume the cc1352 comes programmed with something ?

Yeah, the wpanusb app BeaglePlay / cc1352 / WPANUSB · GitLab

Linux uses the bcfserial driver Sign in · GitLab

I will stay tuned, but Expansion — BeagleBoard Documentation is nothing but stubs.

new board, FAST PRU’s with no way to interface to meat space…

• no power rails,
  • no gpio pins.

What can be done with PRU?

gomer

I assume this is to be used as a central hub for the BeagleConnect modules

This is really cool.

Can anyone explain a bit about 802cg (Single-Pair Ethernet) to me? Is it multi-drop / able to be daisy-chained? Does it plug into a normal switch?

If it can be daisy-chained that is a game changer for me…

Looks COOL!

Just ordered one.

Did you send samples to Derek Molloy and Harry Fairhead?

Hi,
Was reading through the documentation, looking for information on the low level parts of the boot process.

• From where does the Beagleplay boot? eMMC or SD-Card?
  • Is the boot source switchable?
  • If you always boot from eMMC, Can You brick the board if you have a bad boot image?
  • What are the requirements for the boot partition? FAT16/FAT32/EXT4?
  • What are valid names of the boot file?
  • What is the bootloader? U-Boot?
    Thanks in advance?
1 Like

The board boots from eMMC, unless you hold down a button in which case it boots from SD-Card.

I would imagine the file system/boot process is pretty much identical to the current BBB

…additionally looks likes the Single-Pair Ethernet supports PoDL (power-over-data line).

Does anyone have any other specifics on this? Here are my questions:

• Does the PoDL provide power or receive power? (ie. is the BeaglePlay powering other devices?)

• Can the devices exist on a bus via this ethernet connection? If so how many?

It provides 5V/250mA out. It is off by default. A GPIO toggle must be done to enable the power output.

Well, it is Ethernet. You can only connect a single device to the other end of the wire (10Base-T1L), but you can have a switch or hub to add more. Having MCU nodes with 2-ports is the reasonable way to extend this.

Well, it is Ethernet. You can only connect a single device to the other end of the wire (10Base-T1L),

It was my understanding that 802.3cg also defines 10Base-T1S?

So it seems like 802.3cg is either 10Base-T1L or 10Base-T1S…and looks like TI DP83TD510E only list 10Base-T1L

There are some Microchip ICs in same general price range that offer 10-Base-T1S but TI doesn’t seem to offer a variant…shame because I think this is a missed win on their part. The ability to offer “bus ethernet” on industrial devices makes cabling far far simpler. Like the good old coax days with BNC connectors…

The same standard may define it, but T1L and T1S are quite different beasts.

They have very different collision management protocols and PHY requirements.

Presumably, they didn’t include T1S because the only PHYs are available from Microchip and Onsemi.

So… the beagleplay board itself cannot be powered by an external SPE hub?

When does the latest firmware image go up on the Website?
The link goes to a page without any firmware support.

1 Like

I was very pleased to read about the new BeaglePlay and even more pleased that my BeaglePlay will be delivered in the next few hours.

Since there are front and rear panels and spacers for the re_computer case for various Beagle boards, and I also use this combination myself, my question is: Will there be a matching re_computer case for the BeaglePlay?

Are there perhaps considerations or plans for other cases?

Addendum: The BeaglePlay was delivered.
The drill holes in the housing for the spacers do not fit, of course, but it could certainly be made to fit.

eMMC

Yes, using the “BOOT” button.

The “BOOT” button will cause you to boot from uSD, so, no bricking.

The bootloader is put into the special eMMC partitions for eMMC. For uSD, it is done as a FAT partition. I’ll start a doc page to complete this and the rest.

Hmmm… little confused about the state of my Play.

Reading “Getting Started Guide”: Wireless MCU Zephyr Development — BeagleBoard Documentation

It says to add fdtoverlays /overlays/k3-am625-beagleplay-bcfserial-no-firmware.dtbo to extlinux.conf in order to make sure that bcfserial loads correctly.

I have the reverse problem.

1. I have no fdtoverlays in extlinux.conf
  2. I see bcfserial via lsmod
  3. However, I have no lopan listed in ifconfig

If I add the fdtoverlay specified above, then I see no bcfserial via lsmod…

Any ideas?

$ /boot/firmware/overlays

Not sure if those are correct overlays for the play board. I broke mine the other day messing with that. When I get back to it I will look at that in greater detail. It could also have been a fat finger and the overlays are fine.