Thinking of Buying

I am thinking of getting a BeagleBone Black and am not sure about the Hardware.

I have written in VBA and understand scripting so I think I can get it to do what I want it to do (with help).

I am interested in the Hardware if it will support the following.
And how many “capes” would I need. How many would a “cape” support.

PID
Motor Control
PWM control
7 Digits Remote Displays (I2C?)

RTD Temperature Probes

4-20MA sensor
THermoristor Temperature

PID

Program any controller you want.

Motor Control

AC? DC? Stepper? All is possible. Up to 3 QEP inputs for speed / position control.

PWM control

Up to 5 PWM outputs are available on the header pins.

7 Digits Remote Displays (I2C?)

Two i2C busses. (Why not using a hdmi display?)

RTD Temperature Probes

???

4-20MA sensor

BBB has 7 analog pins for input 0 to 1V8. Signal processing mandatory.

THermoristor Temperature

Also needs signal processing to 0 - 1V8 analog input. Consider using Dallas sensors instead (up to 125 °C).

BR

Sounds like he needs a hardware engineer to design him something.

what is it that you ultimately want to do or accomplish? while the beagle bone (black) has IO and capes that will accomplish much of what you list and could likely do everything on the list with appropriate sensors and circuitry interfaced it may or may not be the appropriate platform for your task. The beagle bone has the advantage of having 2 programmable real time units in addition to the arm processor and it runs a full linux operating system thus putting it in the class of a general purpose computer. often tasks such as PID, motor control, and PWM can be simpler to deploy and implement, especially when precise timing is a concern, on a microcontroller platform such as arduino. which you choose, really depends upon what you wish to accomplish.

Eric.