TiWi-5E cape.... what does and does not work?

I’m looking at buying a TiWi-5E cape but have heard that either the wifi and/or bluetooth on this cape are not yet working. So what works & what does not? I’d really like to have access to 802.11a/b/g/n network access AND bluetooth for use with various headsets along with various other bluetooth personalities supported by bluez. of that which does not work at present, what would be involved in making it work.

Eric

I'm looking at buying a TiWi-5E cape but have heard that either the wifi and/or bluetooth on this cape are not yet working. So what works & what does not?

With 3.2: wifi works(ish)
With 3.8: nothing works

I'd really like to have access to 802.11a/b/g/n network access AND bluetooth for use with various headsets along with various other bluetooth personalities supported by bluez. of that which does not work at present, what would be involved in making it work.

For 3.8 DT bindings for the wl12xx wifi and bluetooth pdata

any timeline for bluetooth to be working under 3.8 (or later)?

Eric

I would not hold my breath on Bluetooth on any OS for that board.

Gerald

I was looking at this cape for a beaglebone black. Does it fit and work with the BBBlack?

I’m only interested in using it for WiFi at this point, but I’d like to use it in connected via 5.8GHz, because I’m running a huge amount of interference at 2.4GHz.

It’s been a month since the last mention of TiWi-5E in the thread, and I was wondering what has changed as far as support goes?

I’m also interested in using the external-antenna version of the board, as opposed to the chip-antenna version. Are there pointers somewhere to an antenna with the proper connector that I can buy? (I’d probably be happy with a dipole antenna for my initial work.)

Wim.

I was looking at this cape for a beaglebone black. Does it fit and work with
the BBBlack?

Nope: Bottom of the chart...
http://www.elinux.org/BeagleBone_Black_Capes

I'm only interested in using it for WiFi at this point, but I'd like to use
it in connected via 5.8GHz, because I'm running a huge amount of
interference at 2.4GHz.

It's been a month since the last mention of TiWi-5E in the thread, and I
was wondering what has changed as far as support goes?

I'm also interested in using the external-antenna version of the board, as
opposed to the chip-antenna version. Are there pointers somewhere to an
antenna with the proper connector that I can buy? (I'd probably be happy
with a dipole antenna for my initial work.)

Wim.

Regards,

as for an antenna, you could build a dipole pretty easily!

Eric

I’ve built simple dipole antenna in the lab, but I was hoping to find one that had the right connector and could just be plugged in and strapped down. I didn’t know what the cape’s connector was to know what I should be looking for. Now that I know the board itself won’t work with the BBBlack, I’m not going that route anyway.

Thanks for the pointer to the cape compatibility chart. I’d seen it in the past but couldn’t seem to find it while doing research this weekend.

I guess I’m not going to pick up a WiFi board for a BBBlack this week, and will rely on USB for my connectivity testing.

Wim.