Ubuntu 13.04 - Installing USB RTL8187 Drivers

I have a USB Wifi adapter with an RTL8187 chipset that based on some googling I “should” be able to install if I can get the kernel headers and all the needed compilers installed but I can’t seem to get it. Anyone have any advice?

uname -r shows “3.8.13-bone21”

I’ve played with this off and on for a couple weeks and can’t seem to get this to work…

I’ve tried installing kernel headers and more a couple weeks ago and I shelved it but I would really like some directions,

I’m willing to switch distros if I need to

Any other info needed?

use gkaindl's script:

wget https://raw.github.com/gkaindl/beaglebone-ubuntu-scripts/master/bb-get-rcn-kernel-source.sh
chmod +x ./bb-get-rcn-kernel-source.sh
./bb-get-rcn-kernel-source.sh

Regards,

Thanks a ton for getting me in the right direction!!!

Did you ever have any luck getting this driver installed? I tried on

3.8.13-bone37 with kernel source installed and it still won’t compile… and the included drivers with ubuntu don’t work right.

and what does your definition of don’t work right mean? rtl8187 has been in kernel source for a long time. I have no issues with any of my adapters which are all rtl8187 based. I just have to patch for a non-upstream feature for my use case. Explain more about what you mean and I am sure more help can be offered. I do not use Ubuntu though so can’t say for certain there is not a bug in the driver for their kernel.

I’m pretty sure theres some sort of bug in it… I have tried a few of these wireless adapters in it with the built in drivers and they all have problems with the rx packets… multiple discarded rx packets… then the connection will just drop and won’t reconnect till I reboot it or re establish the connection. This is the lsusb output of the care i am using now.

Bus 001 Device 002: ID 0bda:8172 Realtek Semiconductor Corp. RTL8191SU 802.11n WLAN Adapter

I know this wireless adapter works perfectly in windows located in the same area so it’s not a wireless signal problem.

This is the adapter http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833166056

Robert Nelson himself replied …