USB Disconnect/Reconnect Randomly

I have a BBB connected to Windows via USB. I’m watching the “Device Manager” under Windows. The window constantly refreshes every 5 to 10 seconds with the BBB Serial port showing and then… not showing. The port is constantly reconnecting. It does this 90% of the time. There are times it acts normal and I can actually Putty into the BBB. This behavior begins at boot up of the BBB.

Any idea what is causing this? I don’t think it’s a Windows issue, I think it’s a BBB USB issue.

I’m running Jessie 4.15.

Thanks for any help or advice…

On Wed, 14 Sep 2016 08:16:23 -0700 (PDT), Bryan Wilcutt
<wilcuttbryan@gmail.com> declaimed the
following:

Any idea what is causing this? I don't think it's a Windows issue, I
think it's a BBB USB issue.

Are you using a separate 5V power supply or relying upon USB power?

I have a BBB connected to Windows via USB. I’m watching the “Device Manager” under Windows. The window constantly refreshes every 5 to 10 seconds with the BBB Serial port showing and then… not showing. The port is constantly reconnecting. It does this 90% of the time. There are times it acts normal and I can actually Putty into the BBB. This behavior begins at boot up of the BBB.

What do you have plugged into, and being powered by the beaglebone ? If you’re trying to run too many peripherals on the beaglebone, this is the sort of behavior(seemingly random oddities ) you can expect.

Either that, or . . . when was the last time you did a virus scan on your Windows machine ?