USB Host mass storage device possible?

Hi,

Would appreciate some insights into whether or not this would be possible with the current beaglebone black hardware.

Could I have a BBB running ubuntu that at the same time can be plugged into a pc and act as a USB mass storage device?

So for example just say I have a computer running windows xp with no admin rights to install drivers, could I plug a BBB into this computer, have the BBB show up as a mass storage device, copy files to a location on the BBB (possibly a virtual filesystem or separate SD card partition), BBB performs some form of processing on the files etc…

Hope this makes sense.

Thanks,
Patrick

That's easy, we've been doing that by default since the bbb came out
with the images hosted here:

http://elinux.org/BeagleBoardUbuntu

you can see how we do it by looking at our init script..

https://github.com/RobertCNelson/omap-image-builder/blob/master/scripts_device/am335x_evm.sh#L29

adapt it to your image as needed..

Regards,

What kind of processing do you want to do?

Thanks that's good news, I don't have a BBB yet as nobody seems to have any stock but hopefully can get one next month.

So by default the OS will run from the NAND and the sdcard will appear as a mass storage device on the pc?

I tried to do something similar on a Marsboard and I had to use g_file_storage and g_mass_storage kernel modules from gadgetfs. Does the BBB use gadgetfs or something different to achieve the mass storage functionailty?

Patrick

Nothing too fancy, I was thinking of having a 3g modem attached to the BBB that would upload/download files to a remote server which could then be accessed via mass transfer protocol from a pc.

Thanks that's good news, I don't have a BBB yet as nobody seems to have any stock but hopefully can get one next month.

So by default the OS will run from the NAND and the sdcard will appear as a mass storage device on the pc?

"nand" -> eMMC ..

the first partition does by default..

I tried to do something similar on a Marsboard and I had to use g_file_storage and g_mass_storage kernel modules from gadgetfs. Does the BBB use gadgetfs or something different to achieve the mass storage functionailty?

same subsystem..

Regards,

The only thing you can do is plug it in and find out.. some are
supported some are not..

Regards,

Hi Robert,

Is this (USB mass storage only) still possible with the new (Debian) BBB? Unfortunately the github link appears to be broken now. Is the init script that does this somewhere accessible still?

Thanks!
Andrey

I moved it out into a simpler shared repo:

https://github.com/RobertCNelson/boot-scripts/blob/master/boot/am335x_evm.sh#L76

you'll find this cloned to: /opt/scripts/boot/am335x_evm.sh

Regards,

Thank you! That’s it. Turns out I was also trying to load the g_mass_storage module with incorrect parameters.

Thanks again.

Once mass storage device is created can you continue to send files to the pc from BBB even usb is has already been plugged in?

Hi Robert,

I can’t get that URL to resolve - can you post the updated link please? Thanks.

Surj.

I'm sorry, but your subject/question doesn't seem to resolve, can you
please post your actual question.

Regards,

Robert,

I am so sorry, the link to the Github repo was not resolving, but as I
read later on in the post you moved it and posted the actual link. So,
my fault and I should have read the entire thread first!

All the best,

Surj.

I had configured RNDIS & CDC gadget within the kernel,every thing seems good,able to access like network adapter,but suddenly both seems stop working,even the CDC comm interface.

Can we be able to use both interfaces at a time with full speed??