USB Hub

Hi Men!

I’ve just bought a BeagleBone Black. I plug a USB Hub to USB host. I type lsusb and see Bus Device D-Link Hub. But when I plug a USB 3G Dongle to the Hub, nothing recognized (I see only the led on 3G dongle flashing)

Please help me. Thank you all very much.

Did you install the driver for the 3G dongle?

Gerald

Hi Gerald,

Without the usb hub, my 3G dongle works, I see my 3G dongle when I type lsusb. But when I plug it through the usb hub, I see only the D-link hub. Where can I get driver for the 3G dongle? It’s Huawei E173u.

Good information. If it works without the hub, you already have the driver. You might want to look at a different hub. Sounds like it may not be able to supply enough power to the dongle.

Gerald

Can I use 12V DC Adapter on DC jack while the board powered by USB? Do I need to use external 5V regulator or the board will auto regulator?

If you do that, it will blow up the board. There is a sticker on the power jack that says 5V. 5V is what it needs. Connecting 12V will damage the board.

Gerald

Hi Gerald,

I’ve just bought new usb hub, and I’m still having the same issue. I plug 3G dongle in usb hub and plug usb hub to the usb host before power on.
But I see only the usb hub when type lsusb. Without the usb hub, any usb device works good.
By the way, the hub is powered by external 5V DC. I need to use 2 usb devices.
Any helps, please.

Make sure the DC supplies on the powered hub and the board are connected to the same power strip.

Gerald

Hi Gerald,

I use external +5V 1A power supply for hub and cut the +5V red wire from USB cable and the hub works like a charm, if not cut this wire, it will never work. The USB host port on the board will never supply enough Ampe for 3G dongle.

Thank you very much :slight_smile:

What is the current rating on the 3G dongle?

Gerald

Hi Gerald,

I don’t know exactly but it will work without the hub. I think current rating of hub + 3g dongle is more than 500mA.

By the way, another question, I want to get battery status (max capacity and current available). Do you know how to know it by python?

Sorry. I am the HW team so Python is not something I know that much about.

From a HW standpoint, I have no idea as I have no knowledge as to you battery configuration. Max capacity is different for each battery type,. Current available requires a fuel gauge.

Gerald