USB Mass Storage/Fix dyndbg value in U-boot?

I'm unable to get the USB Mass Storage thing to work on my Mac, or my Ubuntu 14.04 VM. It's the little port, right, the mini-USB connector? Anyway, when I interrupt U-Boot, I did this:

=> setenv umsmedia 0; gpio set 53; run findfdt; setenv mmcdev 1; setenv bootpart 1:1; run mmcboot

FAILSAFE: U-Boot UMS (USB Mass Storage) enabled, media now available over the usb slave port ...
UMS: disk start sector: 0x0, count: 0x734000
musb-hdrc: peripheral reset irq lost!

When I connect my Mac to the small port, the Mac reports a USB download gadget, not a mass storage device. When I try to connect that to the Linux VM, I don't see anything (but don't know where to look).

Alternatively, how do I change the dyndbg setting that U-Boot is loading?

The problem:

I updated my uEnv.txt to turn on more debugging output, and I think it hosed part of the boot process, which times out now (it just repeats the last bit over and over):

Loading, please wait...
fsck from util-linux 2.25.2
BEAGLEBONE: recovering journal
BEAGLEBONE: clean, 43481/236176 files, 285892/943872 blocks
[ 9.931380] rtlwifi: Firmware rtlwifi/rtl8192cufw_TMSC.bin not available
[ 10.860147] libphy: PHY 4a101000.mdio:01 not found
[ 10.864972] net eth0: phy 4a101000.mdio:01 not found on slave 1
         Starting Journal Service...
[ TIME ] Timed out waiting for device dev-ttyGS0.device.
[ 95.707797] systemd[1]: Timed out waiting for device dev-ttyGS0.device.
[DEPEND] Dependency failed for Serial Getty on ttyGS0.
[ 95.727835] systemd[1]: Dependency failed for Serial Getty on ttyGS0.
[ OK ] Stopped Trigger Flushing of Journal to Persistent Storage.
         Stopping Journal Service...
[ OK ] Stopped Journal Service.
[ OK ] Started Journal Service.
         Starting Trigger Flushing of Journal to Persistent Storage...
[ OK ] Started Trigger Flushing of Journal to Persistent Storage.
[ *** ] A start job is running for LSB: Raise network interf...13s / no limit)

These variables don't seem to be loaded into the environment, and I don't see an obvious command for adjusting them:

Running uname_boot ...
loading /boot/vmlinuz-4.1.4-ti-r9 ...
8259336 bytes read in 473 ms (16.7 MiB/s)
loading /boot/dtbs/4.1.4-ti-r9/am335x-boneblack-emmc-overlay.dtb ...
55644 bytes read in 28 ms (1.9 MiB/s)
loading /boot/initrd.img-4.1.4-ti-r9 ...
4496957 bytes read in 272 ms (15.8 MiB/s)

debug: [console=ttyO0,115200n8 dyndbg=file drivers/of* +pflm; file drivers/i2c* +pflm; file drivers/remoteproc +pflm; file sound* +pflm; file pinctrl/* +pflm; file drivers/gpio/* +pflm; file drivers/regulator* +pflm; file *cape* +pflm root=UUID=69f859b1-c308-41c9-8ca7-a3d0042031e8 ro rootfstype=ext4 rootwait fixrtc coherent_pool=1M quiet] ...

debug: [bootz 0x82000000 0x88080000:449e3d 0x88000000] ...

Thanks…

What OS are you running on the BBB? In most cases the BBB will export a Linux USB gadget which is a composite device with mass storage and Ethernet enabled by default. Your Mac may need a driver. Also passing USB devices through to VM is not automatic.

When I connect my Mac to the small port, the Mac reports a USB download gadget, not a mass storage device. When I try to connect that to the Linux VM, I don’t see anything (but don’t know where to look).

It’s not easy using USB gadget devices through a vm. I’ve done it once, a long time ago. I was checking out g_ether speeds, and it was so bad I did not even document my steps. Literally, g_ether speeds from vm to host was around 200-300K /s.

Can’t really help with the MAC, except I’ve read in the past that mountain lion( i think ) has issues with g_ether.related to horndns or whatever it’s called

I'm talking about mass storage, not ethernet/networking. Looking deeper, it is presenting a mass storage device, but both my Mac and Ubuntu VM are ignoring it. I've inquired on the OS X USB list, we'll see if there's an answer.

Meanwhile, I finally made an SD card to boot from in these situations.

What OS are you running on the BBB? In most cases the BBB will export a Linux USB gadget which is a composite device with mass storage and Ethernet enabled by default. Your Mac may need a driver. Also passing USB devices through to VM is not automatic.

It's RCN's recent debian console jessie snapshot. The Mac should support UMS out of the box, but we'll see. Meanwhile I fixed it by booting from the SD card.

RCN’s Console debian image will not work. Unless He has recently changed g_ether from being compiled into the kernel. e.g. you can not have more than one gadget driver loaded / used at one time.

Unless you find some way to remove a driver module that is compiled in statically.

I stop in U-boot, and I use the failumsboot command to put it into UMS mode. And it does present a UMS device, I just can't do anything with it.

U-Boot SPL 2015.10-rc3-00001-gfb375b5 (Sep 10 2015 - 10:07:48)
bad magic
U-Boot 2015.10-rc3-00001-gfb375b5 (Sep 10 2015 - 10:07:48 -0500), Build: jenkins-github_Bootloader-Builder-222