Using /etc/init/_.conf for autostarting services

I am looking to add a auto start service using conf file in /etc/init but it seems that debian version on BBB presently only supports older style /etc/init.d sys init scripts.

I thought I’d ask the group before starting to add packages to install on whether this newer version is supported or should I go straight to using systemd for startup of services.

My aim is not to stray to far from base debian image in these early days.

~C

systemd is enabled in the debian image here:

http://beagleboard.org/latest-images

<and> /etc/init.d/* style script are still run in a systemd
compatibility script.

Regards,

Thanks

init.d can be made to run a service at boot up too. Is there a problem with this ?

http://www.embeddedhobbyist.com/debian-tips/beaglebone-black/beaglebone-black-init-scripts-default-gatewayand-ntpdate/

No right or wrong, I just want to get away from init.d. I far prefer concept of systemd, but confusion reigns due to my lack of knowledge, time to read!

Ah, ok, I get that. but I’m more of a traditional “the Debian way” kind of person.

Or more correctly in this case I should say “The Wheezy way”, since Debian “things” have been changing fairly rapidly the last few years it seems.

Or more correctly in this case I should say “The Wheezy way”, since Debian “things” have been changing fairly rapidly the last few years it seems.

Yeah, but systemd has won so we all have to get use to it :wink:

It’s crazy. I have been in software for longer than I care to mention but last time I dug deep into Linux was about 8 maybe 10 years ago - so much is the same, but so much is different!

Yup, for now it’s the way forward. Actually pretty easy all in all and I do like the concepts. I am battling a bit with ordering startup, but will push through!

~C

Yup, for now it’s the way forward. Actually pretty easy all in all and I do like the concepts. I am battling a bit with ordering startup, but will push through!

You should stop top posting as this isn’t considered good etiquette. Rather post your response just below the text you are responding to so everyone understand the context of your response. With that out the way, the order is determined by it’s dependency. Systemd will wait for the dependency to complete before starting this service. When there is no dependency, services are started in parallel. This is why Systemd is so much faster.

systemd-analyze blame

Will help you understand the startup order.

Regards,
John

Jon, or you can just deal with it. As I deal with you bottom posts. It bugs me, but I deal with it. I hate reading through a wall of text to get to the point. If i need to remember something I can always read previous posts…

Thanks!