Using microsd card on beaglebone black

The instructions for expanding memory on a microsd card assume that the os is booted from the microsd card. Can I just use a microsd card and follow the same instructions, but deleting the boot partition to make use of the full microsd card? Sorry if this question has been asked probably hundreds of times before.

What I am trying to accomplish is to run a single java application on the beaglebone. The java application extends JFrame so it needs a minimal window environment. The application also uses sqlite database.

What I would really like is for the OS on the beaglebone to be able to access a mounted file system on the microsd card. All that I have read so far tells mewhen the beaglebone is loaded from the eMMC then the os can’t/won’t use the microsd card. In order to have enough storage to run the minimal windowed environment, I assume it to be LXDE, the beaglebone will have to reside on the sd card. Is this correct, or do I have to read more?

What I am trying to accomplish is to run a single java application on the
beaglebone. The java application extends JFrame so it needs a minimal
window environment. The application also uses sqlite database.

What I would really like is for the OS on the beaglebone to be able to
access a mounted file system on the microsd card. All that I have read so
far tells mewhen the beaglebone is loaded from the eMMC then the os
can't/won't use the microsd card.

The "OS" "as setup" won't use the microSD directly. You are still
free to mount the microSD and use it in your application as you see
fit.

In order to have enough storage to run
the minimal windowed environment, I assume it to be LXDE, the beaglebone
will have to reside on the sd card. Is this correct, or do I have to read
more?

Regards,

I seem to be unable to install LXDE to ubuntu when it is booted from the eMMC, not enough space. Is there a lighter gui environment that I can use?

This is why 'we' provide Debian Wheezy based lxde images for the 2gb
and 4gb bbb's..

It does take some effort in package selection to make sure it'll fit
in the space we have and still be usable.

For ubuntu, start only with "lxde-core", but that will probally go over 2gb...

Regards,

if i had the 4gb rev c all my troubles would be easy :slight_smile:

So i guess i will look at debian, since rev c ships with it. if it isn’t enough i’ll try the micro sd card. If the micro sd card is too slow, I’ll have to move to rev c. At least i will be able to develop with what i have.

The eMMC on the rev c is slow too.. :wink:

Debian Wheezy: lxde
Debian Jessie: lxqt

http://elinux.org/Beagleboard:BeagleBoneBlack_Debian

Regards,

lxqt implies the qt runtime libraries are already available for development. That would be much better. I will look into it tonight.

Thanks for all of your help.

How long should it take?

I used the image

BBB-eMMC-flasher-debian-jessie-lxqt-armhf-2015-03-08-2gb

and after 3 hours the led lights are running from one ent to the other and the display is showing

[ 1 ] // not exactly correct because I can’t copy/paste it.