Using setup_sdcard.sh script from prebuilt images resulting in readonly fs

I have one more request, if you will… The older - and buggy (at least for me) - image used USB to present the dev pc with its file system and I no longer get this with the new image. How can i get it back?
Thanks!
Paulo Sherring.

So there was a big issues.. Turns out presenting your whole file
system over usb as a flash device was a no-no-no. :wink: (it was useful,
but the kernel doesn't like that at all..)

But if you, add the "--beagleboard.org-production" flag to
setup_sdcard.sh it'll carve out a 100Mb partition which it'll share a
usb flash drive.

Regards,

I was going to mess with kernel, that was why I wanted that :frowning:
BTW, i tried the ubuntu console image and it also presented the same issue.
But thank you! Again!

Paulo Sherring.

You can add it back:

It's in this if statement:

https://github.com/RobertCNelson/boot-scripts/blob/master/boot/am335x_evm.sh#L83

on your board, that file is located: /opt/scripts/boot/am335x_evm.sh

Regards,

Sorry for possible noob, silly question: So should I change the script and copy it to, say, /etc/init.d/am335x_evm.sh, crate a symbolic link in /etc/rcS.d and run update-rc.d script defaults ? Or is there another way to do it?

Thanks!

That script is already called by default on bootup.

Regards,

One last question for this matter: when is this script triggered and where is it instantiated?

/etc/init.d/generic-boot-script.sh

https://github.com/RobertCNelson/omap-image-builder/blob/master/target/init_scripts/generic-debian.sh

Regards,

If it is worth noting, i had to comment out the g_serial (line #86) and uncomment the g_ether (line #88) for getting the desired behavior of showing up as ethernet over USB,which I think is the most common behavior.
As for mount the whole file system as storage unit, turns out the it got all buggy, complaining about dirty metadata, so I gave it up.
I owe you a coffee! Big time!
Thanks!
Paulo Sherring.

If it is worth noting, i had to comment out the g_serial (line #86) and uncomment the g_ether (line #88) for getting the desired behavior of showing up as ethernet over USB,which I think is the most common behavior.

Only one gadget driver can be loaded at a time. This is why g_multi exists. As it offers all 3 ( g_serial, g_ether, and g_mass_storage ) all in one driver. However, I’ve yet to determine where to point the g_mass_storage portion of the driver to, when in fact all you want is just g_ether and g_serial only.

I would assume something like /dev/null, but i never really cared enough about to to test it. I just change /etc/modules to reflect what I want loaded at boot, for whatever sittuation.

When using the newly supplied image, I could not get cape manager (i mean, I am not getting the /sys/devices/bone_capemgr.*/ directory. Do I have to do something before I get it?

Thanks!

Paulo Sherring.

( PS: Should I open a new thread for this question?)

I would... and when you do.. actually make your question more
descriptive, by including the version of the image used, etc..

Regards,

Just found this: https://www.marshut.net/ivvyiz/bone-capemgr-9-disappeared.html

Is this still the case?

Paulo Sherring.

No the case is...

Your using an image that i'm trying to get people off the ancient v3.8.x kernel.

But you still need it, so downgrade:

sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install linux-image-3.8.13-bone69
sudo reboot

Regards,

Capemgr is gone. I don't know if it will be coming back. You now have to enable things by building your own device tree, and I've barely figured out how to make that work. RCN has dtb-rebuilder available for some versions of the kernel. You'll have to use that to make your own version of a complete .dtb (it's a bit easier than it sounds, but not easy). That should cause the individual sysfs nodes you need to appear.

Rick and Robert, I have found nowhere but the email archive I attached before any information on this. High hitting pages on topic, such as Derek Molloy’s and Hipster Circuit’s are all outdated, with no reference to this, sadly. I will try to contact them and suggest that they put on a notice on their pages.

I am on this dtb-builder right now, and, honestly, it makes so more sense than capemgr. I know that capemgr has the advantage of being able to unload and load DTB’s on runtime, but I guess it has very little application. At least i guess so.

But, thanks again for sharing!

Paulo Sherring.

This should help explain it:

v3.8.x (bb.org): overlay/capemgr
mainline: v3.9.x -> v3.19.x: dtb-builder like hacks:
mainline: v3.19.x: overlay

We still support v3.8.x (bb.org) and have it available in the tree,
however for non-overlay-capemgr reasons I have v3.14.x the default
kernel on my Debian/Ubuntu elinux image.

Regards,

There are a lot of people still depending on overlays, maybe that should pose an issue on moving on. It seems to me that it is a simple matter of getting the outdated tutorials on using capemgr and finding out ways to replace its usage. It seems so for the main tutorials providers i have found lately, they all depend on capemgr.
I could not find a single source on how to change pinmux without capemgr, i.e., doing so directly on main dts. Could you give me any pointers?

I have tried mapping memory directly with mmap, but i couldn’t, probably because the kernel is locking the memory for pinmux driver.

I have just downgraded so I could get the work done, but, since I will be using the plataform for a while, I most certain need to it the right way.
Thanks!
Paulo Sherring.

https://github.com/cdsteinkuehler/beaglebone-universal-io

Regards,

I have found this before, it is based on overlays, as well as every other sources i have found.

Any other thoughts?

Thanks!

Paulo Sherring.