v4.5.7-bone4 overlays problem

Hi ,

We have purchased a few Mentorel BeagleBone uSomIQ development kits. They have the 3.8.13-bone72 kernel on there.

Due to some USB issues we have with this version of the kernel, I was able to recompile the v4.5.7-bone4 using Robert Nelson’s instructions (https://eewiki.net/display/linuxonarm/BeagleBone+Black) and make a new SD card image. I was able to boot our mentorel dev kit off the image on this SD card.

Unfortunately, I cannot get the UARTs, i2c and some digital IO to work on this modified setup. (NOTE: with 3.8.13-bone72 kernel these buses work fine). So to enable the overlays here is what I do on the newly compiled image.

1. Execute the following lines…
    export PINS=/sys/kernel/debug/pinctrl/44e10800.pinmux/pins
    export SLOTS=/sys/devices/platform/bone_capemgr/slots
    sudo sh -c “echo BB-ADC > $SLOTS”
    sudo sh -c “echo BB-I2C1 > $SLOTS”
    sudo sh -c “echo BB-UART1 > $SLOTS”
    sudo sh -c “echo BB-UART2 > $SLOTS”
    sudo sh -c “echo BB-UART4 > $SLOTS”

2. cat /sys/devices/platform/bone_capemgr/slots
    0: PF---- -1
    1: PF---- -1
    2: PF---- -1
    3: PF---- -1
    4: P-O-L- 0 Override Board Name,00A0,Override Manuf,BB-ADC
    5: P-O-L- 1 Override Board Name,00A0,Override Manuf,BB-I2C1
    6: P-O-L- 2 Override Board Name,00A0,Override Manuf,BB-UART1
    7: P-O-L- 3 Override Board Name,00A0,Override Manuf,BB-UART2

so it appears the overlays got enabled ok. But, the /dev folder does not have all the files I was expecting. I don’t see a iio:devices0, ttyO1, ttyO2 or ttyO4. And when I try to write to the i2c device I get errors that I don’t see when I use the original sw that came with the board.
It seems like I might have some incompatibilities in the components in the image I created.

Please suggest any solution

dmesg | grep bone

Then we can see what actually happened...

Regards,