Vetting the Beagle Board Projects Page

It would be really helpful if there were some sort of rating or vetting of the projects page BeagleBone Black Project Spotlight: Shield I/O - BeagleBoard

For newcomers, the page offers wondrous dreams. But when following through to learn more about the projects, the dreams turn into reality of something that was thought of and nothing more. Following those leads to nowhere is not a good use of time. It would probably take a couple of hours to go through all 263 to determine what’s really active and what’s not.

I acknodledge the bragging rights to say there are 263 projects for the Beagle Board. However, when many of them are simply nothing more than a registration of an idea, my opinion is: “so what?” and the significance of 263 projects quickly becomes undermined.

An example:

BeagleLocTemp
[homepage] | A Location Aware Weather Station | Last updated by: smmankad.myopenid.com
Sun Feb 13 2011 00:38:16 GMT-0600 (CST) |

• | - | - |

Clicking [homepage] takes you to a titled page with no content. The registration page under the beagleboard.org domain has more information than the homepage.

It’s great to have all these registrations, and the “last updated” certainly provides a clue about the project’s activity. Could we have some sort of user registration on
http://beagleboard.org and then have a rating system. If 400 members of the community think project XXX is top ranked, I’d sure like to know about that. This might be like SourceForge’s approach which sending out monthly summaries of top rating projects.

I’m not proposing to abandon duly registered project; rather I’m proposing something that helps quickly ascertaining a project’s popularity and progress without having to click through each one.

It would be really helpful if there were some sort of rating or vetting of the projects page http://beagleboard.org/project

I’ve added G+ buttons to http://beagleboard.org/project and to the individual project pages. I need to create a mechanism to sort by this value, but I hope that this is a start.

For newcomers, the page offers wondrous dreams. But when following through to learn more about the projects, the dreams turn into reality of something that was thought of and nothing more. Following those leads to nowhere is not a good use of time. It would probably take a couple of hours to go through all 263 to determine what’s really active and what’s not.

I acknodledge the bragging rights to say there are 263 projects for the Beagle Board. However, when many of them are simply nothing more than a registration of an idea, my opinion is: “so what?” and the significance of 263 projects quickly becomes undermined.

An example:

BeagleLocTemp
[homepage] | A Location Aware Weather Station | Last updated by: smmankad.myopenid.com
Sun Feb 13 2011 00:38:16 GMT-0600 (CST) |

• | - | - |

Clicking [homepage] takes you to a titled page with no content. The registration page under the beagleboard.org domain has more information than the homepage.

It’s great to have all these registrations, and the “last updated” certainly provides a clue about the project’s activity. Could we have some sort of user registration on
http://beagleboard.org and then have a rating system. If 400 members of the community think project XXX is top ranked, I’d sure like to know about that. This might be like SourceForge’s approach which sending out monthly summaries of top rating projects.

I’m not proposing to abandon duly registered project; rather I’m proposing something that helps quickly ascertaining a project’s popularity and progress without having to click through each one.

I think I need other fields beyond popularity, including the last update and opportunities to annotate dead projects. Do you have any more specific suggestions?

IMHO

It would be helpful if could even sort by “Last Updated” …

Some of the projects haven’t been updated in 3 years L

Bill

IMHO

It would be helpful if could even sort by “Last Updated” …

Some of the projects haven’t been updated in 3 years L

Bill

I’ve now ordered the projects in terms of latest update with most recent updates on top.

Thanks.

Just a friendly suggestion …

This is very good !
Thanks for this change.

I think I need other fields beyond popularity, including the last update and opportunities to annotate dead projects. Do you have any more specific suggestions?

Thank you. I’m not familiar with Google Group’s tools and what could easily be adopted. I’ll give some thought to it over the upcoming 3 day weekend.