Want To Boot and Run from Flash Card, and Not use Onboard Flash

I have an application where I need a fairly large amount of flash space (32 GB) for data, and it is easier and faster to copy my images to a flash card. So, I want to boot and run from the micro-SD card and not use the onboard flash. Most of the images I have found for the BBB have EEC flasher in the title and when booted begin a 45 minute process to copy over their contents to the onboard flash. Can I use the regular BB image to run on the BBB and it not try to copy to onboard flash? I tried this last week and it worked but after a day that card would not boot anymore. This failure may have been related to me expanding the partition to fill up the card so I just wanted to ask if the practice of using a regular BB image with the BBB is okay

Which “regular” BB image are you referring to?

Gerald

This one = Angstrom-Cloud9-IDE-GNOME-eglibc-ipk-v2012.12-beaglebone-2013.04.13.img

It seems to be the more recent BB image and I assume it has the newer kernel the BBB needs.

Randall

It is supposed to, but i have not tried it. Make sure you hold the boot button down.

Gerald

Well it works, sort of. I never hold down the boot button because it does not seem to matter. This image boots just fine and runs well. Until you try to update it. I did the update and upgrade commands and got a lot of wget errors, yet a bunch of the OS commands reconfigured and when it was done and I rebooted I now get three blue LEDS on and it never hits the 4th LED. It just hangs.

I saw a posting about the latest BBB image not updating correctly, does this also apply to the BB image or could there be something related to an incompatibility with the image and the board? It acts like there is something wrong on the /boot partition.

Randall

Update is broken. It is a hot topic of discussion on the forums. That image is the same image as is used on the BBB that gets flashed into the eMMC. It just bots form SD instead, no flasher.

Gerald

I see there is a new image at the koen site:

| Angstrom-Cloud9-IDE-GNOME-eglibc-ipk-v2012.12-beaglebone-2013.05.10.img.xz |

• | - |

Do you know if this one will update?

Randall

No I do not. You can try it. There is also a 5_15 version as well with the flasher to see if it update gets fixed in that release.

Gerald

Yes, I see. Is there a way to disable the flasher in an image with the eMCC in the title?

Randall

It is a bootable image itself that boots from the uSD whose job is to flash the image. It is actually a 3.83 kernel. You might be able to open it on a Linux machine and grab the image that is in there and DD it to a SD card.

Gerald