This is weekly report thread for the GPGPU with GLES project for GSoC 2021. My mentors are Iain Hunter and Hunyue Yau. This thread will be updated in a weekly manner so that interested people may track the progress of my project. The more in-detail progress plus my ramblings on topics related to the project may be found here.
The github repository containing the project code is under this link.
My accomplishments so far (week 1 + 2):
- Set up the Beaglebone Black and flashed an image with PowerVR EGL and OpenGLESv2 support
- Set up network forwarding via USB on the BBB
- Wrote CMake files for building the GPGPU library with examples, following the famous CMake guide
- Learned about EGL and its extensions
- Experimented with various EGL settings to get a headless display and context for rendering to it
- Wrote the init() function of the library to test context creation
- Wrote a simple example for the library testing
- Recorded the introductory video on the subject
- Set up Libera IRC bridge with the Matrix client due to recent issues with the Freenode IRC
Being sure that context creation will work on every image (if not then I will have to stick to just the Imagination image for now).
Figuring out how can I modify input data via shaders.
Plans for next week:
Writing shaders for data computation (array addition, FIR filtering, Matrix multiplication) and embedding it into the library. Also writing all the necessary glue code for GLES calls and fleshing out library functions. Start writing documentation for the library.