What are the safe power-down methods?

I’ve read what documentation I could find about powering down the BBB. Clearly shutdown -now in a ssh session is safe. Clearly pulling the power is not.

Pushing the power button momentarily does nothing. Documentation says that “software is needed to sense and respond” to this action. I presume this means that said software is not part of the Angstrom distribution that shipped (before the switch to Debian). Pushing and holding the power button does cause a power down.

Question1: Is push-and hold of the power button a safe shutdown method, or is it similar to just pulling the plug?
Question2: If push-and-hold is not safe, has anyone (and distro) developed the software necessary to sense a button push and initiate a safe power down?

Pushing the button momentarily should power down the board if the SW supports it. If it does not, then it needs to be fixed. It does work as far as I know on the image we ship with the board.

Gerald

I will verify on my BBB.

What is the expected difference between a momentary button press and an 8-second press?

an 8-second press is exactly the same as yanking the power plug out.

Regards,

I will verify on my BBB.

What is the expected difference between a momentary button press and an
8-second press?

an 8-second press is exactly the same as yanking the power plug out.

That is what I thought, but when I pressed the power button for 8 seconds,
all the LEDS are off, but the SYS_5V and 3V3B pins on the P9 connector are
still powered.

Regards,
John

yeah true.. we just talked about that in the other thread.. So in the
"world" of the eMMC, it's like we janked the power plug. :wink:

Regards,

Meaning - power is “forcibly” removed from the SoC, and eMMC (no orderly shutdown, just remove power and you get what you get, corruptions and all) but the PMIC does not “get the memo” so some rails are still live?

As said before, unless you have a handler attached to the button event, I won’t trust it.

You can either # shutdown now (as stated before) or # reboot (if that what you desire).

To be honest, I’ve caught myself failing to follow this advice a couple of times. Maybe too used to my Arduino days.