What is wrong with the Beaglebone group????

For a couple of weeks there has been a separate Beaglebone group
http://groups.google.com/group/beaglebone

...but almost all Beaglebone posts are still here.

Why???

Thanks -- I knew not of the group .. I shall start hanging out there

...but almost all Beaglebone posts are still here.

Why???

Because we hate fragmentation

…but almost all Beaglebone posts are still here.

Why???

Because we hate fragmentation

Is it so confusing or is there so much traffic that such a new group is necessary? It seems to me that keeping the critical mass of users/developers is most important.

I don't really care one way or the other, but let me just point out that from a relative newbie's perspective, almost everything about the 'bone is different. I haven't been able to dig up information about driving PWM, or power management, or audio i/o, or dsp, or video, or ??? that is consistent for the whole family of boards, and often I end up reading for a while before I'm able to determine that the information at hand is completely irrelevant to me. There are times when lack of specialization is more confusing than fragmentation. That said, I'm happy to have the information here as a resource, so who am I to look a gift horse in the mouth?

Steve

I spend 80% of my time filtering out the OMAP3 traffic to find the bits that are AM335X. And I agree with Steve’s assessment that its different enough in almost every way that they don’t really cross until you get to higher level userspace.

my $.02 worth.

Tom

Tom King wrote:

I spend 80% of my time filtering out the OMAP3 traffic to find the bits that are AM335X. And I agree with Steve's assessment that its different enough in almost every way that they don't really cross until you get to higher level userspace.

my $.02 worth.

Tom

I don't see a strong need for a separate BegaleBone group. I've been a real-time embedded software engineer for over 30 years. I've developed for Intel, Motorola/Freescale, Philips/NXP, Microchip, Atmel, and others. IMO, the OMAP3 and the AM335x have more similarities than differences. If you don't have the self-organization to deal with these differences, I'd suggest you avoid trying to learn another manufacturer's products.

The obvious problem with separate groups is it requires the developers to duplicate their efforts to follow queries from the community. This _may_ cause them to loose interest and take their expertise elsewhere.

BTW, I strongly dislike forms format as forms require me to jump through time consuming hoops to access information, while mailing lists deliver the information directly to my inbox.

Larry

I don't really think that a separate group for BeagleBone is necessary
today. Putting aside hardware differences, beagle boards are quite
similar and a lot of advises applies to all of them. Especially
discussions about operating systems, which are responsible for big
part of the traffic on the group. Moreover, many people own
beagleboards and beaglebones and they will be interested in
information about both.
Splitting groups may be necessary in the future, when BeagleBone will
become much more popular, but now it would only partition the not so
big community.

regards,
j.

I agree with Steve,
better a new group. No interested in a board that I do not own...
Every time I get the posts summary I have to filter out non bbone
related msg..

Marc