When I connect the ethernet cable the board freezes.

Yesterday the board didn’t freeze. Today I tried to connect the ethernet cable to the board and some USR leds lighted up and remained stuck. I’ve lost the ssh connection and the board became unresponsive. If I disconnect the cable quickly the board resumes it’s activity, if I wait to much it freezes.

how are you powering the board

Via USB cable. It’s my first board, never owned any other board before.

get a 2 amp 5v power supply to power your board.

some times if you try to power from usb there is not enough power to run
everything.

USB power is not enough to power the Ethernet.

Gerald

Hotplug does not work with kernels 3.8.x, and if you do physically hotplug
these kernels. The behavior you're describing is what is expected. If you
want an OS that will hotplug with no problem, upgrade to a newer kernel
4.4.x.

Either that, or plug the cable prior to booting.

USB power is enough to power the ethernet. I’ve been doing this since 2013 . . .

USB power is enough to power the ethernet. I’ve been doing this since 2013 . . .

However, you can not use any other peripherals, or the board will start behaving inconsistently. FOr instance, I can run ethernet all day long with only USB power, I can even use the serial debug port with ethernet not problem. But ethernet, and CANBUS will behave inconsistently.

I bow to the expert and throw away any calculations based on worst case scenarios and any experience I have had with 1000s of boards.

Some may indeed work. A lot will not. I choose to err on the side of will not.

Gerald

I bow to the expert and throw away any calculations based on worst case scenarios and any experience I have had with 1000s of boards.

Some may indeed work. A lot will not. I choose to err on the side of will not.

Gerald

hahah, no Gerald, I’ve not tested 1000’s of boards. only 5, and all 5 run ethernet just fine from USB power. 2 A5A, 3 element14 RevC. But, my suggestion is instead of just tossing the blanket “not enough power” statement out there. at least try to troubleshoot, before “we” concede that it is a power issue.

I’m will to bet that this is a kernel 3.8.x hotplug issue.

Thank you guys! I will update the kernel next week and see if it works, if not I’ll try to find a power supply.

Also, I tried plugging in the cable while the board was off and then turn the board on, after a few seconds some usr leds would change the default behavior and remain lit.

Thank you guys! I will update the kernel next week and see if it works, if not I’ll try to find a power supply.

Also, I tried plugging in the cable while the board was off and then turn the board on, after a few seconds some usr leds would change the default behavior and remain lit

That does not sound right for either case. Not enough power, or hotplug issue. That sounds like a software fault of some sort. But maybe it is power related ?

That is very odd behaviour. I have never come across any system in
many years of computing (as in back to before UTP was used for
ethernet) which doesn't allow plugging/unplugging of RJ45 connectors.

Isn't it usually all handled in the RJ45 connector interface rather
than anyththing being expected of the processor?

I'm also sure I've plugged and unplugged the ethernet on my BBB's
wothout problems.

No chance it’s something as simple as a flaky cable? Worth trying a different one…

(I made a new google account.)

A few days ago I plugged the cable and the ethernet worked. I didn’t hot plug it tho. My cable is a little long about 2 meters.