where are the file transfer protocol binaries in Angstrom?

I’ve got two versions of Angstrom for the BB, but even though they have minicom there are no file transfer binaries in /usr/bin (sb, sx, rb, rx, kermit, etc). Why are they not there and where can I find them?

Looks like I need the lrzsz…ipk file, can anybody share that? It’s not in the Angstrom packages and I’m not inclined to figure out OE at this point.

Looks like I need the lrzsz...ipk file, can anybody share that? It's not
in the Angstrom packages and I'm not inclined to figure out OE at this
point.

Seems counter productive to me. If your not willing to help yourself why would others want to go out of there way? It takes very little time to setup the chain and build a package. The longest part being DLing the sources the first time. But will not take as long if you only want to start building a single package.

I’m not asking anybody to do anything except post the ipk file if they already have built it. Having grappled with embedded Linux for several months now I seriously doubt that getting OE and bitbake set up and working properly (for a first timer like myself) would take “very little time”, but I’m certainly willing to give it a go and I appreciate your confidence.

As a more general comment I’m rather surprised that there isn’t better documentation generated by the open source community (particularly pursuant to the BB) around what I would consider basic functionality (such as transferring files) and understanding. Don’t get me wrong, the wiki and other supporting docs have been immensely helpful, but they could be much better. I’d like to help in that regard and plan on writing a white paper “how to”, but a collaborative and moderated wiki that is carefully organized and consistently formatted would probably be better.

It's regular linux, so any linux howto works and there are a lot of them around

Yes, that’s true, but there’s no “how to transfer binary files between the BB running Angstrom and a Ubuntu laptop using the serial port and command line”, or “how to get a Panasonic 7-segment display to print ‘Hello’ using a Beaglebone running the such-and-such distro”. And why couldn’t there be? As we all know the devil’s in the details, and there’s obviously lots of precedent in these two simple examples, but getting to the requisite minutia is haphazard. I get most of my insights from blogs like this one where somebody is divulging their personal experiences, but this information gets stale and is difficult to find because it’s not organized. References are important foundation, but this tribal knowledge is mandatory, and I can’t help feeling that I’m reinventing the wheel every day.

I'm not asking anybody to do anything except post the ipk file if they
already have built it. Having grappled with embedded Linux for several
months now I seriously doubt that getting OE and bitbake set up and
working properly (for a first timer like myself) would take "very little
time", but I'm certainly willing to give it a go and I appreciate your
confidence.

no need to build what can be found and downloaded here:

http://www.angstrom-distribution.org/repo/

As a more general comment I'm rather surprised that there isn't better
documentation generated by the open source community (particularly
pursuant to the BB) around what I would consider basic functionality
(such as transferring files) and understanding. Don't get me wrong, the
wiki and other supporting docs have been immensely helpful, but they
could be much better. I'd like to help in that regard and plan on
writing a white paper "how to", but a collaborative and moderated wiki
that is carefully organized and consistently formatted would probably be
better.

that's a recurring theme lately, why has the "community" not produced
all these tutorials. Every member of the "community" is free to do so,
but nobody can be forced into doing that... It's not like the community
sold you something.

vladimir thank you so much for pointing me back to the feed browser, I had stupidly assumed that if it wasn’t compiled specifically for the beagleboard then it wouldn’t work so that’s the keyword I had used to search. I downloaded the armv7a ipk file and installed it from the sd card using opkg and now zmodem works fine.

To your comment, this google group is a case in point where an individual (or group of individuals) has taken the initiative to provide a framework to create some order out of the chaos. I’m merely proposing the next logical step. Certainly I have nothing to complain about unless I’m the one that takes that step, but maybe this will prompt some discussion over what that step might be (a singular document, group of documents, web space, collaborative but moderated?? etc etc). How are those that take such initiative supported? Is it all philanthropy?

Looks like there is gftp in the repo. Gonna give it a shot as soon as this sucker finishes updating.