Which modules should I enable/compiled into kernel for beagleboard?

Hi, All,

I start to compile my custom kernel from the omap git:

git://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/tmlind/linux-omap-2.6.git

with default setup:

make omap3_beagle_defconfig
make uImage

However, l couldn’t get internet working. lsusb didn’t show my usb hub and usb-ethernet router:

Bus 001 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub

However under another working kernel (copied from http://elinux.org/BeagleBoardDebian), lsusb gave me:

Bus 002 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub
Bus 001 Device 003: ID 07a6:8511 ADMtek, Inc. ADM8511 Pegasus II Ethernet
Bus 001 Device 002: ID 05e3:0608 Genesys Logic, Inc. USB-2.0 4-Port HUB
Bus 001 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub

so I believe I missed some modules in kernel config but I don’t know which. I tried to add the “USB Pegasus/Pegasus-II based ethernet device support” but it’s not working neither. The pegasus ethernet router connects to beagleboard via the genesys hub so I think maybe it’s because I don’t have driver for the hub?

Hope someone can help me.

Thanks!
Hui

Hi Hui,

I’ve faced exactly same problem. There are two ways for your problem.

First you should download kernel (I’d downloaded from the same address using branch pm-2.6.29) and apply a list of patches by hand (make sure that you are applying correct patches to correct version). Then you can use defconfig file as your configuration file which comes with Arago / Angstrom projects and play with the configuraitons to find out which one is usefull for you.

But I propose you a clean way; let OE to do all necessary steps for you. You can use Angstrom or Arago projects. First you’ll spend time to learn the basics but using these tools will decrease the duration of your development.

I hope this will give you an idea.

Best Regards,
Bora

Hi Bora,

I finally figured out what's wrong: the ehci needs to be patched.
Here's the patch file for kernel version 2.6.29:

http://www.gitorious.org/gumstix-oe/mainline/blobs/8ffb44d28592bc95e4aa235501b381f1086aecb5/recipes/kexecboot/linux-kexecboot-2.6.29/beagleboard/ehci.patch

Then enable the EHCI and Pegasus-II in 'make menuconfig'. I'm
satisfied since I only need a console plus Internet to debug my
program. Other patches are not necessary to me.

Thanks and have a good day!
Hui