Why can't I see eMMC device from Linux 3.8?

I’ve got a beagle bone black which is booting a self built 3.8 kernel over TFTP / NFS. The kernel source is from (https://github.com/beagleboard/linux.git). For some reason, I am not able to see a mmc block device assigned. The cape manager sees it and assigns it to a slot. But ls -l /sys/bus/mmc/devices does not show anything.

However, if I insert a SD card, I am able to see a block mmc device assigned for it. I would like to be able to mount the eMMC device.

Am I missing something? I was assuming that both the eMMC and the SD would have corresponding mmc block devices assigned by the driver.

Could someone at least confirm that I should be able to see device files /dev/mmc0* and /dev/mmc1* for both the eMMC and an SD card assuming both are present? It seems like the 3.8 kernel is playing hanky panky with these mmc devices.

Could someone at least confirm that I should be able to see device files /dev/mmc0* and /dev/mmc1* for both the eMMC and an SD card assuming both are present? It seems like the 3.8 kernel is playing hanky panky with these mmc devices.

root@beaglebone:~# lsblk
NAME MAJ:MIN RM SIZE RO TYPE MOUNTPOINT
mmcblk1boot0 179:16 0 1M 1 disk
mmcblk1boot1 179:24 0 1M 1 disk
mmcblk0 179:0 0 3.7G 0 disk
`-mmcblk0p1 179:1 0 1.7G 0 part /
mmcblk1 179:8 0 1.8G 0 disk

-mmcblk1p1 179:9 0 70.6M 0 part
`-mmcblk1p2 179:10 0 1.7G 0 part
root@beaglebone:~# uname -a
Linux beaglebone 3.14.26-ti-r39 #1 SMP PREEMPT Mon Dec 8 04:56:09 UTC 2014 armv7l GNU/Linux

So, it is /dev/mmcblkX not /dev/mmcX, anyway ls -l /sys/bus/mmc/devices works fine n this end, I’d say you have a problem. Exactly what ? No idea . . .

And yeah, this is for 3.14.x, but I’d get the same result for 3.8.x as well. . .

Thanks for confirming William. Yeah it was working on 3.14 for me also. I had too many other problems with 3.14 (mainly SPI devices) and had to revert back to 3.8. Now I am seeing this oddity.

Try using one of Robert’s older rootfs’s, and maybe an older kernel. I’m personally still using *bone47. But this one I am setting up to show someone how to get something done . . .except now I can not remember what . . .heh

I actually gave the newer 3.14 kernel another try today. It has been about 4 months since my last attempt. This time success! I am able to see all the MMC device files and also the SPI devices are working like a champ, which they weren’t 4 months ago. Case closed. I’ll be sticking with 3.14 unless I run into any new problems.