Why did my BeagleBone Black suddenly switched off and not powering up again?

Hi,

I have been using BBB for a while now and have developed embedded applications using it. This morning when I was working with my BBB, something strange happened, I powered my BBB and when I was about to SSH to the BBB, suddenly it just switched off. Then I unplugged and plugged in the adapter and saw that, the BBB does not power up while the power LED just blinks once and goes off. Then I tried to power my BBB through the USB and the same thing happens again i.e. Power LED flashes ones and then the BBB not responding while powered off.

Has this happened to anyone else?, After researching online, It says here Beagleboard:BeagleBoneBlack - eLinux.org its issue with PMIC due to high current intake, but I don’t understand what I did for the BBB to draw high currents. I am using BBB Rev C. Please help?.

Can I power up the BBB from an adapter by connecting the adapters positive to P9_05 (VDD) and negative to GND of BBB??

Regards
Vinay Divakar

What was your BBB connected to ?
Have you tested your power supply ?
Have you tried to power it off of a USB connection to rule out your
power supply?
Things can just fail. Might be nothing you have done.

Two possibilities that I can think of.

#1 somehow your Linux image became corrupt, and “aborts” early in the boot process.

#2 The processor is somehow damaged.

Usually the board will flash a USR LED or 4, but this is not always the case - when you have a bad Linux image, or boot loader. Additionally, if you gave us a schematic to look at or very minimum give a detailed bom + description of how things are connected . . . someone should be able to tell you what went wrong. If the processor in fact went south.

Oh, and right. If you have a serial debug cable plugged in. Remove it from the remote end while the board boots. I’ve personally run into a no boot situation when the serial debug cable is plugged in. I can not tell you how that happens, but I can tell you what I was doing when that happened. Basically I was attempting to get output from the serial port on the remote end formated properly, and I was using cat to dump the text e.g. cat /dev/ttyUSB0. However it will not happen most of the time, which is why it’s hard to track down how.

Hello, I encountered the same issue (I powered my BBB and when I was about to SSH to the BBB, suddenly it just switched off. Then I unplugged and plugged in the adapter and saw that, the BBB does not power up while the power LED just blinks once and goes off).

If somebody aware please let us know how to fix the issue.

try a different power supply. the PMIC is picky cant be too fast or too
slow of a ramp up.

I’ve observed this 3 or 4 times always while I hear thunder and storms are in the area. My BBW is on a UPS and none of the crashes seem to correlate with UPS “beeps” or room light abnormalities, although I have good correlation between lighting on the security camera video and the last hearbeat from the BBW.

The reset button will not start it. I have to remove the 5V power barrel connector wait ~20-30 seconds and re-plug, then it boots.

My RPi2, also part of my IOT project, and on the same UPS, has never glitched. I plan on wiring up a DPDT relay with the power to the BBW delivered through NC contacts and when the RPi2 detects the BBW IOT “heartbeat” has stopped to energize the relay for 30 seconds to cycle the power.