Wifi on BBB 3.8.x - Are there drivers for any USB wifi adapters?

So far looks good. I will take a complete look through tomorrow and fix all of the stuff I did (or did not do).

Also learned some stuff, like the patch program. I did not know about that and did the patching myself…

Also wondered about blacklisting the old driver, but was not sure how or if, so I think I have parts of both system running on mine. Will fix. on Mine.

As for building the kernel, I was confused on the best way to do this, so I think I have at least two full setups on my main machine. (Neither was from the approach you showed, but that one looks easier…)

Got to run. Tomorrow I was hoping to see if I could try to build something for a different USB adapter, that has the RTL8191SU chip set. This has a larger external antenna, for larger range. Currently it is running on one of my RPIs.

Kurt

I managed to get my rtl8192cu working using Chris' tutorial, but
instead of cross-compiling, I compiled the module directly on my
beaglebone black. I'll post a howto on my blog either today or
tomorrow and share it here.

Thanks, for documenting all of this up!

Fixed my install to blacklist the other driver and my wifi stopped working. Then updated the wifi.config and it is now working :slight_smile:

Some typos or my misunderstandings along the way.
Installing the driver, this line looked wrong to me:

Kurt,

Awesome thanks - the back ticks work, but it’s not always clear depending on the font. It has to be ` instead of '! I like your syntax better, i’ll change it, and the passphrase thing was a type-o. I’ll change that too!

-c

Great work guys, with all this, we should have a good step-by-step on
how to set up rtl8192cu's on the BBB :slight_smile:
Thanks!

Here’s how I make mine work, (based on cmicali’s howto):
http://www.codealpha.net/864/how-to-set-up-a-rtl8192cu-on-the-beaglebone-black-bbb/
Sorry that’s really barebone but I wanted to put something quickly together so I can post it out there asap.

Looks great - ill link to it from my post

I don't suppose anyone could verify these instructions work on other distros? (I'm trying on Arch Linux)

If not, can someone give me some general direction?

I have already attempted following these instructions, respective to Angrstro / Arch differences. I was able to compile and load the module; even associate, connect, and authenticate. But, it was unusablly unstable. It'd drop soon after connected and the reconnect time was long (5-10 mins). I used wpa_supplicant alone. Maybe my confit was off?

Casey - not sure what would be different from arch… maybe i’d suggest upgrading your versions of connman and wpa_supplicant? 1.15 and 1.1 respectively are what I am using…

when you say you were using wpa_supplicant alone you mean you were not using connman? any dmesg/log messages that indicate why the interface disconnected?

Sorry, got frustrated and started working towards building the module through Arch’s tools. I’ve built it correctly (I believe). I’ll try it out tonight after work and after I’ve read how to properly create a wifi connection.

As was pointed out to me, I’m too new to Linux for Arch Linux; to which I say: I know my role, I’m one of the ten-thousand monkeys, on one of ten-thousand type writers, maybe some Shakespeare’s to ensue?

Thank’s again for the walk-through; when I saw it, I felt the sense of my team winning, even if I wasn’t a key player

:slight_smile:

–Thomas

haha yeah same here really, just another monkey on a typewriter but we’re making good progress towards hamlet v1

let me know how it goes, would really be good to figure out what the root cause of some of these problems is

Well, I got the 8192cu up in Arch Linux. But, it’s not nearly as stable as I’d like. I don’t suppose someone could examine my workflow? I’m too fresh to Linux to know better.

http://cthomasbrittain.wordpress.com/2013/07/03/installing-8192cu-module-on-the-b3-running-arch-linux/

–Thomas

How do you power the beaglebone and the 8192cu?

2.5 A barrel-jack.

I'd suggest trying a usb hub if you happen to have one.

Thomas,

I have had success running this wifi adapter on the black under Arch Linux. Please see lemoneer labs The issue I am still working on concerns the real time clock. It is not battery backed and does not maintain the time after you power off. This causes the black to fail to connect automatically on the first boot after power off. I am currently documenting using an external real time clock with battery backup to address this issue. I hope this helps.

Witherwax,

Thank you for the write-up.

I’ve noticed I’m being a little harsh on how “unstable” my connection is. And you gave me a reason for my next dilemma, why I can’t get wifi to start on boot.

So, you’ve had no problems with the stock 8192cu module on Arch? I had just assumed I’d needed to use an updated module after the problems I encountered with the rtl8192cu on Angstrom. Regardless, I’ll dig through my i2c RTCs and see if I can get one working.

Also, I’ve noticed that not all my rtl8192cu’s work with my current driver. It seems only one of the three (all different makes with the same chip. 8188 chipset?).

Anyways, I’ll repeat your steps and see if I can get any of my kinks worked out.

Thanks again.

–Thomas

Thomas,

I have a Chronodot I plan to use. chronodot It is based on the DS323 and uses the same driver as the DS1307. Arch Linux Arm has support compiled into the kernel according to the config at GitHub.

config file excerpt

Thomas,

As promised, here is the write up on how I got the Chronodot to work LemoneerLabs RTC

That is awesome, sir.

I’ve been too busy with other projects to give the B^3 any love. I’ll read the article as soon as I get home. And thanks for doing the work for the rest of us :slight_smile:

Though, the big question is: Did it solve your start-up on boot issue?

–Thomas