WiFi working on BeageBone (2012.04.09)

Hi folks,
I know there are many posts around already on this topic, but despite them all, I still spent 3 days getting wifi to work with the stock angstrom image on BB. Here are a few things I did, maybe they might help a few lost souls.

  1. I’m using an old Belkin F5D7050 USB WiFi adapter.
  2. I had two main problems;
    2.1 Looking at DMESG, I could see that wlan0 failed to come up with a message along the lines of “prohibited due to RF-Kill”
    2.2 When I fixed this (A setting [WiFi] enabled=false in some connman file), I could see that the wlan0 associated, then immediately disassociated from my Access Point.
  3. I used opkg to remove connman-systemd, and then connman.
  4. Now things improved. After an “/etc/init.d/networking restart”, I had eth0 up with an ip address, and wlan0 up, with no ip4 address.
  5. Next I changed my /etc/network/interfaces file to assign a static address to wlan0. After another “networking restart”, both interfaces came up, and I have wifi!

Unfortunately, (you can probably tell I’m still learning the linux ropes) this doesn’t happen automatically after a reboot. I have to do a “network restart” from the console. I guess that was connman’s job. So I need to figure out how to get this to happen at reboot.

If its any use to anyone, my config files look like this:

auto wlan0
iface wlan0 inet static
wpa-driver wext
wpa-conf /etc/wpa_supplicant.conf

auto eth0
iface eth0 inet dhcp

Hi Con, can you share the location of the beagleboard module for this device (.ko file)? Thx

Hello TonyD!
The chipset of F5D7050 is RT73: http://roblg.com/blog/2012/02/Belkin-F5D7050-Beaglebone/
Try opkg install rt73-firmware and install the firmware.

Hi Nilson,
Thanks for taking the time to capture your experiences, well done! At some point I’d like to chat with you a bit about putting together a grass-roots effort to create a comprehensive one-stop donation-funded embedded Linux Wikispace so we don’t have to continually reinvent the wheel every time.

Anyway, I followed your blog instructions but am still getting this error:

[ 7657.753570] rt73usb 1-1.3:1.0: firmware: requesting rt73.bin

[ 7658.019104] ADDRCONF(NETDEV_UP): wlan0: link is not ready

when I issue the command “ifconfig wlan0 up”. lsmod returns:

Module Size Used by

rfcomm 33484 0

ipv6 249063 8

hidp 11193 0

l2cap 30104 4 rfcomm,hidp

bluetooth 49221 3 rfcomm,hidp,l2cap

rt73usb 19696 0

rt2x00usb 6737 1 rt73usb

rt2x00lib 23012 2 rt73usb,rt2x00usb

mac80211 126499 2 rt2x00usb,rt2x00lib

cfg80211 115244 2 rt2x00lib,mac80211

rfkill 14838 2 bluetooth,cfg80211

As you can see I needed to install some modules besides the rt73 because Angstrom complained about the dependencies. iwconfig shows:

lo no wireless extensions

wlan0 IEEE 802.11bg Mode:Managed Access Point: Not-Associated

Tx-Power=16 dBm

Retry long limit:7 RTS thr:off Fragment thr:off

Encryption key:off

Power Management:on

/etc/network/interfaces is:

Wireless interfaces

Like elinux.org ?


Your drivers are correct. No need to install another module.
Your problem now is to properly configure the / etc / wpa_supplicant.conf.
The picture below is of my Beaglebone:


More info - when I plug the adapter in (to powered USB hub attached to the OTG port with a “force master” cable from serialio) I get this:

[ 832.618865] usb 1-1.3: new full speed USB device using musb_hdrc and address 5

[ 832.779907] usb 1-1.3: not running at top speed; connect to a high speed hub

[ 832.926147] usb 1-1.3: device v050d p705a is not supported

[ 832.932342] usb 1-1.3: New USB device found, idVendor=050d, idProduct=705a

[ 832.939910] usb 1-1.3: New USB device strings: Mfr=1, Product=2, SerialNumber=0

[ 832.947937] usb 1-1.3: Product: Belkin 54g USB Network Adapter

[ 832.954437] usb 1-1.3: Manufacturer: Belkin

[ 833.233825] Registered led device: rt73usb-phy1::radio

[ 833.248138] Registered led device: rt73usb-phy1::assoc

[ 833.259735] Registered led device: rt73usb-phy1::quality

[ 834.669586] rt73usb 1-1.3:1.0: firmware: requesting rt73.bin

[ 834.818420] ADDRCONF(NETDEV_UP): wlan0: link is not ready

I’m going out to get a high speed hub and see if that makes a difference.

Belkin high speed hub doesn’t work with the OTG port, but does work with the host port. Unfortunately still getting the “link not ready” error. What could I be missing?

There is no OTG port on the Bone. It is client only. It connects to a HUB on the BeagleBone. You are trying to connect a HUB to a HUB.


My apologies, I hijacked this post as my target is a beagleboard C3. I got the HS USB hub and my keyboard no longer worked with the OTG port, but did work with the host port (high speed only). Just the opposite was true using the low-speed hub (keyboard worked with the OTG port but not with the host port). Anyway, the HS hub made no difference in the outcome with the Belkin wifi dongle. However, I was able to ping the network by following Sid’s recommendations at the end of this thread:


I will need to study those commands to understand why that worked. Thanks for your help Nilson, your how-to sent me down the right path.