Will Qt run on BeagleBone?

Runs on mine…

Great. How is the performance for animations?

Great. How is the performance for animations?

I’m using the plain omapfb graphics driver because there isn’t a armhf binary driver from TI (that I know of) and qt/qml animations work in software-rendering, but aren’t “amazing”. They should be a lot better if using opengl with the sgx driver.

-Kevron

Did you do anything special to get Qt setup for cross compiling on your development machine? I’ve been struggling for a few days on this. What versions of the Qt libraries are you using? 4.6.3? 4.8.2? I now keep getting errors trying to compile. Did you configure Qt for static libraries?

Did you do anything special to get Qt setup for cross compiling on your development machine? I’ve been struggling for a few days on this. What versions of the Qt libraries are you using? 4.6.3? 4.8.2? I now keep getting errors trying to compile. Did you configure Qt for static libraries?

I installed Qt using apt on ubuntu 12.04 ported to ARM. 12.04 comes with Qt 4.8.1.

Finally got cross compiling to work. I ended up installing the commercial version of Qt SDK, and it helped out tremendously. After that, I just copied the Qt Library files to my BeagleBone and everything worked. Thanks for all of your help!

My installation of Qt created a folder called “Trolltech” in my Documents folder that contains the libraries for Qt Embedded. (I’m using 4.8.2) I then copied the complete folder to the BeagleBone by doing the following:

First create the usr/local directory on the BeagleBone in case it does not exist:
sudo mkdir /media/Angstrom/usr/local

Copy the Trolltech folder to the Beaglebone:
sudo cp -r ~/Documents/Trolltech /media/Angstrom/usr/local/Trolltech

Now the Qt libraries are on the BeagleBone, so try to run your application now…

Hi Brent

I tried all day to look for this “Trolltech” folder you said or any installation which can create it because my Qt installation don’t created it :SS. I have Ubuntu 12.04 like you i think, and i have installed lastest version 4.8.1 Qt SDK, on the other hand there is the library Qt embedded 4.8.2 opennsource which i download also but i don’t know what to do at this point…Maybe you can send me your links you used in your Qt installation with the “Troltech” folder and i will try again…

Also i would like to ask you if you achieved to compile your Qt programs from your PC or you have to copy the proyect to your BeagleBone and run it?? Usually i use the Eclipse program to compile all from my PC and the proyect runs in my BeagleBone.

Thanks and regards.

2012/7/10 Brent <brent.sink@gmail.com>

I downloaded the Qt Commercial version and it helped me a lot. You can download it here: http://www.digia.com/en/Qt/Try-Qt-Now/

I cross-compile my code on Ubuntu 12.04 and when I hit run, it copies the program to the BeagleBone and automatically starts running the program. Obviously the BB needs to be plugged in to your network, and you need to add a remote device in Qt. It’s pretty straight-forward… you just need to know the IP address of the BB. Here is a video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lp7zRsw9_2s

A bit late, but can you see if the armhf binaries posted recently help you ?

https://twitter.com/prabindh/status/225782555906027520

BTW, not all animations will be helped by openGL. Specifically, QGLWidget needs to be the backend for 2d operations.